Barbara GeigerAdjunct Professor
Program of Landscape Architecture
- Landscape history and preservation
- M.A., Landscape Architecture, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- B.A., Humanities, Western Illinois University
- Other degrees in Horticulture and Humanities
LA 497: Vernacular Landscape
LA 497: Chicago's Landscapes
LA 502: Landscape Architectural History: From Antiquity to Olmsted
Research & Major Accomplishments
- Low-Key Genius: The Life and Work of Landscape-Gardener O.C. Simonds, Ferme Ornee, 2011.
“J. Roy West, FASLA,” biographical essay in Shaping the American Landscape, University of Virginia Press, 2009.
“Hilbert Einar Dahl,” biographical essay in Shaping the American Landscape, University of Virginia Press, 2009.
Chappell, Sally A. Kitt. Chicago's Urban Nature: A Guide to the City's Architecture and Landscape in Landscape Architecture, September 2007. (book review)
Kelman, Ari. A River and Its City: The Nature of Landscape in New Orleans in Journal of the Vernacular Architecture Forum, Summer 2005. (book review)
Wolper, Ethel Sara. Cities and Saints: Sufism and the Transformation of Urban Space in Medieval Anatolia in Vernacular Architecture Forum Newsletter, Winter 2004-05. (book review)
Rybczynski, Witold. A Clearing in the Distance: Frederick Law Olmsted and American in the Nineteenth Centuryin Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society, Autumn 2000, 93 (3), p.331-333. (book review)
Tishler, William H., ed. Midwestern Landscape Architecture in Illinois Heritage, Fall-Winter 2000, 3 (1&2), p.10-11. (book review)
"Salt Box House," Barbara Geiger and William Philpott, in Remnants of Corporate Paternalism: Company Housing and Landscapes at Calumet, Michigan, Arnold R. Alanen and Katie Franks, eds. (Omaha, NE: Midwest Service Area Office, National Park Service, 1996), pp.35-44.
Professional Society Memberships
Editorial Board Service
Professional Society Service
- Community Service: Fund and Easement Committee, Landmarks Illinois; Historic Preservation Commission, Wilmette; board member, Frances Willard Historical Association; board member, Ravenswood-Lakeview Historical Association