Herb ShieldsAdjunct Faculty
INTM Career Development Advisor
Industrial Technology and Management
- Teaches INTM 443/543 Purchasing, INTM 432 Vendor/Customer Relations, INTM 461/561 Energy Options
- Supply Chain/Logistics, Operations, Electrical Machinery, Consumer Products
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Clarkson University
Research & Major Accomplishments
In addition to teaching for INTM, Shields is President, HCS Consulting. He helps clients across multiple industries and in higher education improve their supply chain strategy and execution. Shields has more than 30 years experience as an operations executive for capital equipment, automotive, electrical machinery and consumer products companies.
In the field of logistics education, Herb’s clients include the City Colleges of Chicago, the Chicago Public Schools, Northern Illinois University, the State of Illinois, Moraine Valley Community College, and the Warehousing Education and Research Council. His work includes:
- Curriculum development
- Teacher training
- Customized lectures and written materials
He has lectured at IIT’s Stuart Graduate School of Business on the subject of inventory management, and delivered numerous presentations and workshops to industry and professional associations.
Previous career positions include vice president of materials management at Helene Curtis. Shields led the supply chain organization that helped Helene Curtis win "Vendor of the Year" awards from Wal-Mart Stores and Target Corp.
Selected PublicationsShields has been cited and quoted in various Supply Chain publications including Supply Chain Digest, May 2, 2013 (http://www.scdigest.com/ontarget/13-05-02-1.php?cid=7006)
Professional Society Memberships
Editorial Board Service
Professional Society Service
- Certified Management Consultant, Institute of Management Consultants; member, Chicago chapter Board; Board member, Midwest Society of Professional Consultants; Associate Member, Vistage
- Board member, Greater West Town Training Partnership