Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) Overview Course, SC 308
About this Course:
This course provides a thorough overview of the major topics and concerns in hazardous materials management, which helps prepare environmental managers to take the CHMM Exam. In addition, many environmental professionals take the course to satisfy training requirements, enhance their breadth of competence in the profession, or get up-to-date information. This is the award-winning course first developed by Chicago Chem Consultants that has been offered through ACHMM/ Chicago since 1988.
- A baccalaureate degree in a subject area related to hazardous materials management/engineering and three years of experience qualifies the candidate for Senior Level Certification
- A baccalaureate degree in science or engineering and seven or more years of appropriate experience qualifies the candidate for Master Level Certification.
Who Should Attend:
This course is valuable for environmental professionals who need up-to-date information to make informed decisions, and who want credentialed recognition that they have attained a high level of education, experience, and competence.
- Hazardous Waste Treatment Technologies
- Environmental Law & Regulation Overview, including Liability and Compliance
- Industrial Toxicology
- Chemistry of Hazardous Materials, Proper Laboratory Practice and Data Validation
- RCRA Corrective Action
- Hazardous Waste Storage
- Storm Water & Oil Pollution Prevention Act
- Management of Underground Storage Tanks
- Clean Water Act (CWA) & Safe Drinking Water Act
- National Contingency Plan/Worker Right-to-Know
- Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)
- OSHA Requirements Pertaining to Hazardous Materials Management
- Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA)
- Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (HMTA) and Hazardous Waste Transportation
- The Clean Air Act (CAA) and 1990 Amendments
- Radiation Principles
- Facility Environmental Audits and Environmental Site Assessments
- Waste Minimization/Pollution Prevention
- Superfund: The Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and
- Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA) with 1986 Amendments (SARA)
- Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-know Act of 1986 (EPCRA)
- Environmental Management Principles & ISO 14000
- Incident Response
- Hazardous Waste Treatment Storage, and Disposal
- Oral Sample Examination and Wrap Up
Course Materials: A copy of the Managing Hazardous Materials or other texts on hazardous materials management will be forwarded to each registrant upon receipt of the course fee. The Desk Reference is a useful study guide for the exam and a handy desk reference. All materials are included in the course fee.
Groups of 3 or more from the same organization receive a 10% discount; ACHMM attendees for recertification and IIT alumni receive a 25% discount.
Steven Sawyer, CHMM, Gabriel Environmental Services
Illinois Institute of Technology Graduate School of Business
Environmental Management Program
Chicago Chapter of the Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers