Sonja Petrović , Ph.D
Office: Engineering 1, room 111A
10 West 32nd Street
Chicago, IL 60616
- Algebraic statistics, applied and computational algebraic geometry and commutative algebra. Goodness of fit tests and parameter identifiability problems for social networks and biology, Applications of discrete mathematics to statistics and algebra.
- Ph.D. - University of Kentucky 2008
- B.Sc. - University of Tennesse at Chattanooga 2003
Research & Major Accomplishments
Sonja Petrović and Despina Stasi, Toric algebra of hypergraphs, to appear in the Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics. (DOI 10.1007/s10801-013-0444-y)
Alessandro Rinaldo, Sonja Petrović and Stephen E. Fienberg. Maximum Likelihood Estimation in the Beta model, Annals of Statistics 2013, Vol. 41, No. 3, 1085-1110.
Elizabeth Gross, Mathias Drton and Sonja Petrović. Maximum likelihood degree of variance component models, Electronic Journal of Statistics 2012, Vol. 6, No. 0, 993-1016.
Elizabeth Allman, Sonja Petrović , John Rhodes, and Seth Sullivant. Identifiability of two-tree mixtures under group-based models, IEEE/ACM Transactions in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 8 no. 3 (2011) 710-722.
Sonja Petrović and Erik Stokes. Betti numbers of Stanley-Reisner rings determine hierarchical Markov degrees, Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics, Volume 37, Issue 4 (2013), Page 667-682. (DOI: 10.1007/s10801-012-0381-1)
Stephen E. Fienberg, Sonja Petrović and Alessandro Rinaldo. Algebraic statistics for p_1 random graph models: Markov bases and their uses, Book chapter in S. Sinharay and N. J. Dorans, editors, Papers in Honor of Paul W. Holland. ETS.(2010) Springer
Professional Society Memberships
Editorial Board Service
Professional Society Service
- American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), including the Activity Group in Algebraic Geometry (SIAG-AG)
- American Mathematical Society (AMS)