Writing Contest for IIT Undergraduate Students
Sponsored by the Lewis Department of Humanities
Full-time IIT undergraduate students are invited to enter the 48th Annual Writing Contest, sponsored by IIT's Lewis Department of Humanities. Full-time is defined as being enrolled for at least 12 credit-hours in the current (Spring 2013) semester. Prizes are awarded in four categories:
|Edwin H. Lewis Prize for Fiction||$300||$200||$100|
|Edwin H. Lewis Prize for Nonfiction||$300||$200||$100|
|Freshman Essay Prize||$300||$200||$100|
|Mollie Cohen Prize for Poetry||$300||$200||$100|
* Prizes will be awarded as Amazon.com giftcards, which may be used for online purchases at www.amazon.com.
Deadline for submissions: 12:01 p.m., Tuesday, April 2, 2013.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winners will be announced Thursday, April 18, on the Humanities Website. Please do not call the Humanities Department to inquire whether you have won.
Reception for all entrants, with awarding of prizes: Thursday, April 25, 2013.
- Entries may include fiction, poetry, plays, nonfiction (such as essays, reviews, and technical or scientific papers), and essays by freshman. Nonfiction (including essays by freshman) should be readable by an educated person with no special training in the subject of the essay.
- All entries must include an entry form as a cover sheet attached to each entry. Forms are available in 218 Siegel Hall, or you can download one here.
- All entries must be submitted in duplicate. One should be keyboarded, double-spaced, on 8.5 x 11 paper. Do not put your name on the paper copy itself or any of its pages. Deliver paper submissions to Susan Mallgrave at the Lewis Department of Humanities, 218 Siegel Hall. The second copy should be submitted as an MS Word .DOC or .DOCX file to email@example.com. The file name should be Lastname.Nonfiction.doc, Lastname.Poetry.doc, Lastname.Fiction.doc, or Lastname.Freshman.doc, depending on the category it is to be entered into.
- You may enter several categories, and you may submit more than one entry in a category. Limit of one prize per category to any one student.
- You are encouraged to submit work that has been the subject of a class assignment, but be sure to send a clean copy, free of any comments, marks, or grades.
- Entries will not be returned, so keep a copy.
- All submitted short stories and plays will be considered for the Edwin H. Lewis Prize for Fiction. Submissions must be limited to no more than 25 double-spaced pages.
- All submitted poems or groups of poems will be considered for the Mollie Cohen Poetry Prize, which seeks to honor the effort to master the art of poetry rather than the exhibition of emotions. You may submit all the poems you wish; however, multiple poems by the same student will be judged as a single entry.
- All submitted nonfiction will be considered for the Edwin H. Lewis Prize for Nonfiction.
- All submitted freshman essays will be considered for the Freshman Essay Prize. Freshman is defined as any student who is in their first year of full-time college enrollment.
- Authors retain all rights to their works, however the authors grant IIT, the Humanities Department, and TechNews the rights to publish their works for one calendar year, from April 18, 2013 - April 18, 2014.
For more information contact: