Karl StolleyAssociate Professor, Technical Communication
Director, Gewgaws Lab
Co-Director, Graduate Studies
- Social media, web design, open source & open standards and other digital communication matters.
- My current research project is a book on web writing and design. I also write about user-designer activity, code-level literacy, and sustainability & digital archiving.
- I teach graduate courses in web design, information structure and retrieval, and single-sourcing and content management. I've also taught a seminar in open source in technical communication.
- Ph.D., English, Purdue University
Research & Major Accomplishments
- 2008 Computers & Composition Michelle Kendrick Digital Scholarship Award, June 2009
- 2008 Council of Editors of Learned Journals Best Journal Design Award, December 2008 (for work on Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy)
- Kairos Graduate Student Award for Technology Service, May 2006.
- Purdue Research Foundation Summer Research Grant, Summer 2006.
- Janice M. Lauer Award for Excellence in Dissertation Work, 2005.
- Purdue University Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award, 2005.
- Department of English Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award, 2004.
- Purdue Research Foundation Summer Research Grant, Summer 2004.
- How to Design and Write Web Pages, Greenwood Press (forthcoming).
Professional Society Memberships
Editorial Board Service
- Editor, Computers and Composition Digital Press
- Lead Designer and Interface Editor, Kairos, 2006-2009.
- Inventio Section Co-Editor with Madeleine Sorapure, Kairos, 2006-2009.
Professional Society Service
- Council of Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication Research Grant, March 2008