Grant B. Bunker , Ph.D.Chair, Department of Physics
Professor of Physics
- X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy (XAFS) and Synchrotron Radiation
- B.S. The Evergreen State College
- Ph.D. University of Washington
Research & Major Accomplishments
Biophysics; X-ray absorption spectroscopy of metalloproteins; synchrotron radiation techniques and instrumentation; data analysis and molecular modeling; computational physics, chemistry, and biology.
Founding director 1991-2001, Biophysics Collaborative Access Team (BioCAT) at Argonne. President, Quercus X-ray Technologies, LLC, 2001-present.
Inventor of novel x-ray instrumentation and methods for data analysis.
- Applications of x-ray absorption spectroscopy to biological systems and materials
- Ab initio quantum mechanical calculation of vibrational behavior of enzymes and other molecular and nonmolecular systems
- X-ray optics and instrumentation
- Bent crystal optics
- Energy conservation technologies
- X-ray Absorption Fine Structure (XAFS) spectroscopy education and training
- Investigations of complex systems and emergent order
- US 20060021690 "Integral pressure regulation system for tires and other vessels containing compressible fluids"
Quantitative performance measurements of bent crystal Laue analyzers for X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy C. Karanfil,* G. Bunker M. Newville, C. U. Segre and D. Chapman J. Synchrotron Rad. (2012). 19, 375–380
"Introduction to XAFS: A Practical Guide to X-ray Absorption Fine Structure Spectroscopy", Cambridge University Press, 2009.
Zinc cysteine active sites of metalloproteins: A density functional theory and x-ray absorption fine structure study, N Dimakis, M Farooqi,Emily Sofia Garza,and G Bunker. The Journal of Chemical Physics 128, 115104, 2008.
"Group-fitted ab initio single- and multiple-scattering EXAFS Debye-Waller factors" Nicholas Dimakis and Grant Bunker Phys. Rev. B. Rapid Communications, 65 201103(R), 10 May 2002.
Initial results on logarithmic spiral bent laue analyzer for fluorescence x-ray absorption spectroscopy, C. Karanfil, D. Chapman, G. Bunker, C. Segre, Review of Scientific Instruments, vol 73 no 3, p 1616, 2002
"X-ray Absorption Spectrometers", G. Bunker, in Encyclopedia of Spectroscopy and Spectrometry, p2447-2554, Academic Press, 1999.
"Practical Regularization Methods for Analysis of EXAFS Spectra", G. Khelashvili and G. Bunker, J. Synch. Rad. 6, 271- 273 (1999)
Ab initio single- and multiple-scattering EXAFS Debye-Waller factors: Raman and infrared dataN Dimakis, G. Bunker. Phys. Rev. B 58, 2467-2475 (1998)
Application of the ratio method of EXAFS analysis to disordered systems, Bunker, G. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, vol. 207, issue 3, pp. 437-444.
Professional Society Memberships
- International X-ray Absorption Society (IXAS)
- American Physical Society (APS)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Editorial Board Service
Professional Society Service
- ANL "Dynamic Self-Assembly of Active Bioparticles"
- Workshop on the physics of music and sound reproduction for fifth graders, Oak Park Global Village Young Scientist's Conference