Konstantinos Arfanakis, Ph.D.Associate Professor
Office: Wishnick Hall, Rooms 214-217
Wishnick Hall, Suite 314
3255 S Dearborn St
Chicago, IL 60616-3793
Web: Magnetic Resonance Imaging Lab
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRI acquisition and post-processing, diffusion tensor MRI (DTI), functional MRI (fMRI)
- B.S., Physics, University of Athens, Greece, 1997
- M.S., Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin, 1999
- Ph.D., Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin, 2002
- Diffusion tensor imaging acquisition schemes
- Advanced PROPELLER-MRI image reconstruction techniques
- Turboprop diffusion tensor imaging and tractography
- Clinical applications of diffusion tensor imaging and functional MRI
- Post-mortem MRI
- Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in University Research, 2007
- International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) Stipend, 1999 - 2002
- Vilas Fellowship, 2001
- Magna Cum Laude, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 2002
- Excellence in Design of Education Exhibit, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 2002
- Top Ten most accessed paper in 2002-2003 in MRM, Magn. Reson. Med. 2002;47:354-363.
Peer Reviewed Articles
1. K. Arfanakis, D. Cordes, V.M. Haughton, C.H. Moritz, M.A. Quigley, M.E. Meyerand. Combining independent component analysis and correlation analysis to probe interregional connectivity in fMRI task activation datasets. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2000; 18:921-930.
2. D. Cordes, V.M. Haughton, K. Arfanakis, J.D. Carew, P.A. Turski, C.H. Moritz, MA. Quigley, M.E. Meyerand. Frequencies contributing to functional connectivity in the cerebral cortex in �resting-state� data. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2001; 22:1326-1333.
3. K. Arfanakis, D. Cordes, V.M. Haughton, J.D. Carew, M.E. Meyerand. Independent component analysis applied to diffusion tensor MRI. Magn. Reson. Med. 2002; 47:354-363.
4. K. Arfanakis, V.M. Haughton, J.D. Carew, B.P. Rogers, R.J. Dempsey, M.E. Meyerand. Diffusion tensor MRI in diffuse axonal injury. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2002; 23:794-802.
5. K. Arfanakis, B.P Hermann, B.P. Rogers, J.D. Carew, M. Seidenberg, M.E. Meyerand. Diffusion tensor MRI in temporal lobe epilepsy. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2002; 20:511-519.
6. M. Lazar, D.M. Weinstein, J.S. Tsuruda, K.M. Hasan, K. Arfanakis, M.E. Meyerand, B. Badie, H.A. Rowley, V.M. Haughton, A.S. Field, A.L. Alexander. White matter tractography using tensor deflection. Human Brain Mapping 2003; 18:306-321.
7. K. Arfanakis, A.A. Tamhane, J.G. Pipe, M.A. Anastasio. K-space under-sampling in PROPELLER imaging. Magn. Reson. Med. 2005; 53:675-683.
8. K. Arfanakis, M. Gui, M. Lazar. Optimization of white matter tractography for pre-surgical planning. Oncology Reports 2006; 15:1061-1064.
9. H. Peng, K. Arfanakis. Diffusion tensor encoding schemes optimized for white matter fibers with selected orientations. Magn Reson Imaging 2007; 25:147-153.
10. K. Arfanakis, M. Gui, A.A. Tamhane, J.D. Carew. Investigating the Medial Temporal Lobe in Alzheimer�s Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment, with Turboprop Diffusion Tensor Imaging, MRIVolumetry and T2-relaxometry. Brain Imaging and Behavior 2007; 1:11-21.
1. K. Arfanakis, B.P. Hermann. Diffusion and perfusion MR imaging in seizure disorders. In Clinical MR Neuroimaging: Diffusion, Perfusion and Spectroscopy, Cambridge University Press, 2005, pp 509-520.
2. V.M. Haughton, C. Moritz, M.E. Meyerand, K. Arfanakis, D. Cordes. Mapping brain function with functional magnetic resonance imaging. In Imaging of the Nervous System: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Applications, Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Publishing-Mosby, 2005, pp 89-100.
Professional Society Memberships
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (1998-present)
- Organization for Human Brain Mapping (2006-present)
- New York Academy of Sciences
- Medical Imaging Research Center (MIRC) at the Illinois Institute of Technology. (2004-present)
- Brain Research Imaging Center (BRIC) at the University of Chicago (2003-present)
- Center for Integrative Neuroscience and Neuroengineering (CINN) at the University of Chicago and the Illinois Institute of Technology (2005-present)