Tongyan Pan, PhD, PEAssistant Professor, CAEE
Office: AM 215
- Multiscale Computational Mechanics: Computational Quantum Chemistry, Atomistic Modeling, and Finite Element Analysis
- Nanomanufacturing and Smart Coating Technologies
- Engineering Materials: Reinforced Concrete, Asphalt Mixture, Geomaterials, and Metallic Materials
- Pavement Engineering and Pavement Management
- Ph.D., Engineering Materials, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006
- M.S., Engineering Materials, Louisiana State University, 2002
- M.S., Structural Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2001
- B.S., Structural Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 1997
- Development of Renewable Energy on the Public Right of Way (FHWA)
- Validation of Rehabilitation Strategies to Extend the Service Life of Concrete Bridge Decks (Caltrans)
- Fate and Transport Behavior of Contaminant Solute in Roadside Soils (USDOT)
- Feasibility and Benefits of Paving Highways with Warm Mix Asphalt Concrete (MDT)
- Pan, T., "Coniferyl-Alcohol Lignin as a Bio-Antioxidant for Petroleum Asphalt: A Quantum Chemistry Based Atomistic Study." Fuel. Vol. 113, pp. 454-466. 2013.
- Pan, T., "Corrosion Behavior of a Duplex Stainless Steel under Cyclic Loading: A Scanning Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy (SKPFM) Based Microscopic Study." Journal of Applied Electrochemistry. Vol. 42(12), pp. 1049-1056. 2012.
- Pan, T. "Stressed Corrosion of an Austenitic Stainless Steel Studied by Scanning Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy." Analytical Letters. Vol. 45 (17), pp. 2580-2588. 2012.
- Pan, T., Melgar, C., and Robinson, T., "Damping Capacity of Styrene-Butadiene Latex Admixed Concrete: A Micromechanical Study." ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. Vol. 24(9), pp. 1237-1244. 2012.
- Pan, T., "Finite Element Analysis of Chemical Transport and Reinforcement Corrosion Induced Concrete Cracking in Variably Saturated Heterogeneous Concrete." ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics. Vol. 137, No. 5, pp. 334-345. 2011.
- Pan, T., and van Duin, A. C.T., "Passivation of Steel Surface: An Atomistic Modeling Approach Aided with X-ray Analyses." Materials Letters. Volume 65, Issues 21-22, Pages 3223-3226. 2011.
- Pan, T. and Liu, Y., "Computational Molecular Analysis of Chloride Transport in Hydrated Cement Paste." Journal of the Transportation Research Board: No. 2113, pp. 31-40. 2009.
- Pan, T., Nguyen, T., and Shi, X., "Assessment of Electrical Injection of Corrosion Inhibitor for Corrosion Protection of Reinforced Concrete." Journal of the Transportation Research Board: No. 2044, pp. 51-60. 2008.
- Pan, T. and He, X., "Laboratory Investigation of Acetate-based Deicing/Anti-Icing Agents Deteriorating Airfield Asphalt Concrete." Journal of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists, Vol. 77, pp. 773-793. 2008.
- Pan, T., Tutumluer, E., and Anochie, B.J., "Aggregate Morphology Affecting Resilient Behavior of Unbound Granular Materials." Journal of the Transportation Research Board: No. 1952, pp. 12-20. 2006.