Javad AbbasianGTI Professor of Chemical Engineering
- B.S. from Abadan Insitute of Technology, Iran (Gas Eng., 1975)
- M.S. from Illinois Institute of Technology (Gas Eng., 1978)
- Ph.D. from Illinois Institute of Technology (Gas Eng., 1986)
- MBA from University of Chicago (1996)
- Development of a Regenerative MgO-based Process for Carbon Capture in Advanced Gasification-based Power Generation Processes.
- Development of Sorbent-Enhanced Water-Gas-Shift Process
- Development of a Process Simulator for Solid-Fuel Gasification
- Process Optimization for Utilization of Degraded Watersin Power Plants
- Teacher of the Year, Armour College of Engineering, 2012
- Teacher of the Year, ChBE department, 2009
- R.B. Slimane, J. Abbasian, and B.E. Williams, “ ZnO-Based Regenerable Sulfur Sorbents for Fluid-Bed/Transport Reactor Applications,” U.S.Patent No. 6,794,333 B2, 2004.
- • Book chapter on “In-Situ Desulfurization of Coal Gas with Calcium-Based Sorbents” in “Desulfurization of Hot Coal Gas,” by A.T. Atimtay, and D.P. Harrison, book published by Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- •Book chapter on “Stabilization and Regeneration of Spent Sorbents” in “Desulfurization of Hot Coal Gas,” by A.T. Atimtay, and D.P. Harrison, book published by Springer-Verlag, 1996.
Selected PublicationsI. Safari, M. E. Walker, M. Hsieh, D. A. Dzombak, W. Liu, R. D. Vidic, D. C. Miller, and J. Abbasian, “Utilization of Municipal Wastewater for Cooling in Thermoelectric Power Plants”, Fuel, Vol. 111 No. 1, pp 103-113, 2013.
I. Safari, M. Hsieh, S. H. Chien, M. E. Walker, R. D. Vidic, D. A. Dzombak, and J. Abbasian, “Effect of CO2 Stripping on pH in Open-recirculating Cooling Water Systems ”, Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, DOI 10.1002/ep 11769, 2013
M. E. Walker, R. B. Theregowda, I. Safari, J. Abbasian, H Arastoopour, D. A. Dzombak, M. Hsieh, and D. C. Miller, “Utilization of Municipal Wastewater for Cooling in Thermoelectric Power plants: Evaluation of the Combined Cost of Makeup water Treatment and Increased Condenser Fouling”, Energy, Vol. 60, No. 1, pp 139-147, 2013
M.E. Walker, I. Safari, R.B. Theregowda, M.K. Hsieh, J. Abbasian, H. Arastoopour, D.A. Dzombak, D.C. Miller, “Economic impact of condenser fouling in existing thermoelectric power plants,” Energy, 44, 1, pp 429 - 437, 2012.
E. Abbasi, A. Hassanzadeh and J. Abbasian, “Regenerable MgO-based sorbent for high temperature CO2 removal from syngas: 2. Two-zone variable diffusivity shrinking core model with expanding product layer” FUEL, (will be available in print later in 2012, the paper is currently available online, 2012.
V.S. Gavaskar, and J. Abbasian, “Dry Regenerable Metal Oxide Sorbents for SO2 Removal from Flue Gases. 3.- Long-Term Durability” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 51, pp 213–217, 2012.
F. Rahmaninejad, V.S. Gavaskar, and J. Abbasian, “Dry Regenerable CuO/-Al2O3 Catalyst for Simultaneous Removal of SOx and NOx from Flue gas” Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 119– 120, pp 297– 303, 2012.
M.E. Walker, J. Abbasian, D.C. Chmielewski, and M.J. Castaldi, “Dry Gasification Oxy-combustion Power Cycle”, Energy & Fuels, 25 (5), pp 2258–2266, 2011.
Hassanzadeh and J. Abbasian, “Regenerable MgO-Based Sorbents for High-Temperature CO2 Removal from Syngas. 1. Sorbent Development, Evaluation, and Reaction Modeling.” Accepted for publication in FUEL, 89, 1287-1297, 2010.
V.S. Gavaskar and J. Abbasian, “Development of Metal Oxide Sorbents for SO2 Removal from Flue Gases. 2. Modeling of the Sulfation Reaction Involving Copper Oxide Sorbents.” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 46 (4), 1161-1166, 2007.
V.S. Gavaskar and J. Abbasian, “Development of Metal Oxide Sorbents for SO2 Removal from Flue Gases. 1. Development and Evaluation of Copper Oxide Sorbents.” Ind. Eng Chem Res., No 1, vol. 45, 2006.
K.S. Oberoi and J. Abbasian, “Effects of External Factors on the Measurement of Gas-Solid Reaction Rates.” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 43, 956-961, 2004.