Hamid ArastoopourHenry R. Linden Professor of Energy
(Joint Appointment with ChBE and MMAE)
Director of the Wanger Institute for Sustainability and Energy Research
Office: Room 122 Perlstein Hall
- B.S. from Abadan Institute of Technology, Iran (Gas Engineering, 1973)
- M.S. from Illinois Institute of Technology (Gas Engineering, 1975)
- Ph.D. from Illinois Institute of Technology (Gas Engineering, 1978)
Transport phenomena of multiphase systems and fluidization, computational fluid dynamics (CFD), hydrogen storage, tire recycling, particle technology in applications to coal gasification, production of gas from unconventional gas reserves and hydrates, and energy and sustainability related issues.
- 2004 - Fellow of American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 2003 - AIChE Fluidized Processes Recognition Award, sponsored by DOW Chemical, awarded in recognition of significant contribution to the science and technology of fluidization or fluidized processes, and who has shown leadership in the engineering community.
- 2001 - AIChE Donald Q. Kern Award. Awarded in recognition of expertise in heat transfer and energy conversion and the contributions leading to advances in engineering.
- 1997 - Ernest W. Thiele Award of the AIChE local section, sponsored by Amoco Corporation; awarded in recognition of original and significant contributions to the practice of the chemical engineering profession in the Midwest
- 1999 - AIChE Lectureship Award in Fluidization and Fluid Particle Systems, sponsored by Fluor Daniel Foundation. Awarded in recognition of the significant contribution and pioneering work in numerical simulation of fluid-particle and fluidized bed systems.
- 1992 - University Excellence in Teaching Award, sponsored by Amoco Corporation
- "Apparatus for Generating Odor Upon Electronic Signal Demand," Firooz Rasouli, Hamid Arastoopour and Ali Oskouie, U.S. Patent #6,548,025 (2003).
- "Apparatus and Process for Pulverization of a Polymeric Material," G.K. Ivanov, H. Arastoopour, E. Bilgili, N. Shahidi and B. Bernstein, U.S. Patent #6,513,737 (2003).
- "Synthesis of A Carbon-Based Catalyst From Sludge" N. Khalili , H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent # 6,362,127 B1 (2002).
- "Synthesizing Carbon from Sludge," N. Khalili, H. Arastoopour, and L. Walhof , U.S. Patent #6,030,922 (2000).
- "Process for Recycling of Rubber Materials," H. Arastoopour, D. Schocke, B. Bernstein, and E. Bilgili, U.S. Patent #5,904,885 (1999).
- "Apparatus for Generating Odor upon Electronic Signal Demand," F. Rasouli, H. Arastoopour, and A. Oskouie, U.S. Patent #6,004,516 (1999).
- "Single-screw Extruder for Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization and Method," H. Arastoopour, U.S. Patent #5,704,555 (1998).
- "Method for Producing Biodegradable Products," F. Shutov, H. Arastoopour, and G. Ivanov , U.S. Patent #5,688,448 (1997).
- "Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Thermoplastic Materials)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent #5,397,065 (1995).
- "Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Thermosetting Materials)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent #5,395,055 (1995).
- "Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Elastomers)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent #5,415,354 (1995).
- "Sorbent Composition and Process for Regenerative Sorption of NO X," D. Gidaspow, H. Hariri, and H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent #4,151,124 (1979).
“On the Consequences of Limiting Chain Extensibility of Vulcanized Rubbers: Stiffening, Self Homogenization, and Coupling of Strain Components,” E. Bilgili, B. Bernstein and Hamid Arastoopour, Journal of Elastomers and Plastics, 40, 77-93 (2008).
“Solution of PBE by Non-infinite Size Domain,” M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, accepted for publication, Chemical Engineering Science (2008).
“Numerical Simulation of Poly-dispersed Systems,” M. Strumendo, H. Arastoopour and A. Ahmadzadeh, Ninth Circulating Fluidized Beds (2008).
“Three Dimensional Numerical Simulation of a Horizontal Rotating Fluidized Bed,” A. Ahmadzadeh and H. Arastoopour, accepted for publication in Powder Technology Journal (2008).
“Population Balance Equation, Application in Rotating Fluidized Bed Polymerization Reactor,” A. Ahmadzadeh, H. Arastoopour, F. Teymour and M. Strumendo, accepted for publication in Chemical Engineering Research and Design (2008).
“Simulation of a Pulsating Bed using Eulerian Approach,” S. Dokka and H. Arastoopour, Fluidization XII, edited by H.T. Bi, F. Berruti and T. Pugsley, 743-750 ECI, New York (2007).
“CFD Simulations for Analysis and Scale-up of Anti-Solvent Crystallization,” X. Liu, D. Hatziavramidis, H. Arastoopour and A.S. Myerson, AIChE Journal, 52, 3621-3625 (2006).
“Pulverization of Rubber Using Modified Solid State Shear Extrusion Process (SSSE),” N. Shahidi, H. Arastoopour and G. Ivanov, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 102, 119-127 (2006).
“Modeling of Multi-Type Particle Flow Using Kinetic Theory Approach,” H. Iddir and H. Arastoopour, AIChE Journal, Vol. 51(6), 1620-1632 (2005).
“Analysis of Binary and Ternary Granular Mixtures Behavior Using the Kinetic Theory Approach,” H. Iddir, H. Arastoopour and C. M. Hrenya, Particle Technology, Vol.151, 117-125 (2005).
“Amphiphilic Particulate Phase Semi-interpenetrating Polymer Networks Based on Recycled Rubber Matrix,” N. Shahidi, F. Teymour and H. Arastoopour, Polymer, Vol. 45, 5183-5190 (2004).
“Modeling of UV Dose Distribution in a Thin-Film UV Reactor for Processing of Apple Cider,” S. K. Unluturk, H. Arastoopour and T. Koutchma, Journal of Food Engineering, Vol. 651, 125-136 (2004).
"Numerical Simulation of Gas and Particle Flow in a Rotating Fluidized Bed," A. Ahmadzadeh, H. Arastoopour, and F. Teymour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 42, 2627-2633 (2003).
"A New Recycling Technology: Compression Molding of Pulverized Rubber Waste in the Absence of Virgin Rubber," E. Bilgili, A. Dybek, H. Arastoopour and B. Bernstein, Journal of Elastomers and Plastics, Vol. 35, 235-256 (2003).