Salim El Rouayheb, PhDAssistant Professor
Mailing Address: 3301 South Dearborn St., ECE SH103, Chicago, IL 60616
- Distributed Storage Systems, Information-Theoretic Security, Network Coding, Wireless Communication, Video-on-Demand, Information and Coding Theory.
- Ph.D., Texas A&M University, College Station 2009
- M.S., American University of Beirut 2004
- Diploma, Lebanese University 2002
Dr. El Rouayheb’s research is in the area of information theory and coding theory. He is particularly interested in solving problems related to distributed data storage, information-theoretic security and network coding. His recent contributions include new codes for data reliability and security in distributed storage systems and efficient algorithms for data exchange among wireless users.
- Texas Telecommunication Engineering Consortium Graduate Fellowship, 2005
- The Charlie S. Korban Award for outstanding graduate student, 2004
- T. Ernvall, S. El Rouayheb, C. Hollanti and H. V. Poor, “Capacity and Security of Heterogeneous Distributed Storage Systems," to appear in the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications: Networking Challenges in Cloud Computing Systems and Applications, September 2013.
- S. Goparaju, S. El Rouayheb, R. Calderbank and H. Vincent Poor, “Data Secrecy in Distributed Storage Systems under Exact Repair,” 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Network Coding (Netcod), Calgary, Canada, June 2013.
- M. Effros, S. El Rouayheb, M. Langberg, “An Equivalence between Network Coding and Index Coding,” 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), Istanbul, Turkey, July 2013.
- S. El Rouayheb, E. Soljanin and A. Sprintson, “Secure Network Coding for Wiretap Networks of Type II,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 56, No. 9, March 2012.
- N. Milosavljevic, S. Pawar, S. El Rouayheb, M. Gastpar and K. Ramchandran, “Data Exchange Problem with Helpers,” Proceedings of 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), Boston, July 2012.
- S. Pawar, S. El Rouayheb, H. Zhang, K. Lee and K. Ramchandran, “Codes for a Distributed Caching Based Video-On-Demand System,” Proceedings of Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, Pacific Grove, November 2011.
- S. Pawar, S. El Rouayheb and K. Ramchandran, “Securing Dynamic Distributed Storage Systems against Eavesdropping and Adversarial Attacks,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 57, No. 9, September 2011.
- S. El Rouayheb, A. Sprintson and C. N. Georghiades, “On the Index Coding Problem and Its Relation to Network Coding and Matroid Theory,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol.56, No.7, July 2010.
- S. El Rouayheb and K. Ramchandran, “Fractional Repetition Codes for Repair in Distributed Storage Systems,” Proceedings of 48th Annual Allerton Conference on Commununication, Control and Computation, Monticello, September 2010.
- S. El Rouayheb, A. Sprintson and P. Sadeghi, “On Coding for Cooperative Data Exchange,” Proceedings of IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW), Cairo, Egypt, January 2010.
- S. El Rouayheb, M. A. R. Chaudhry and A. Sprintson, “On the Minimum Number of Transmissions in Single-Hop Wireless Coding Networks,” In the proceeding of IEEE Information Theory Workshop, Lake Tahoe, California, September 2007.