John Shen, PhDGrainger Chair Professor
Office: IIT Tower 16C5-2
10 West 35th St, Chicago, IL 60616
- Power electronics and power semiconductor device technologies for energy conversion and energy efficiency applications.
- Ph.D., EE, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1994
- M.S., EE, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1991
- B.S., EE, Tsinghua University, China, 1987
2012 IEEE Region 3 Outstanding Engineer Award
2012 E. T. Walton Fellowship from Science Foundation of Ireland IEEE Fellow (Class of 2011)
2008 Researcher of the Year Award, College of Engineering and Computer Science, UCF
2008 Joseph J. Suozzi INTELEC Fellowship Award in Power Electronics from IEEE Power Electronics Society (as student recipient’s faculty advisor)
2006 Prize Paper Award of IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics
2003 Automotive Electronics Best Paper Award of IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
2003 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
1996 Motorola Scientific and Technical Award
Selected Publications“A Review of Power Decoupling Techniques for Microinverters with Three Different Decoupling Capacitor Locations in PV Systems,” Hu, H.; Harb, S.; Kutkut, N.H.; Shen, Z. J.; Batarseh, I., IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 2711-2726, June 2013.
“Distributed Battery Micro-Storage Systems Design and Operation in a Deregulated Electricity Market,” Hussein, A.A; Kutkut, N.H.; Shen, Z. J.; Batarseh, I., IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 545-556, September 2012.
“Operation Mode Analysis and Peak Gain Approximation of the LLC Resonant Converter,” Fang, X.; Hu, H.; Shen, Z. J.; Batarseh, I., IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 1985-1995, April 2012.
“Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Single Event Effects in SOI Lateral Power MOSFETs,” P. Shea and Z. J. Shen, IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, Vol. 57, No.6, December 2011.
“Evaluation of Lateral Power MOSFETs in a Synchronous Buck Converter Using a Mixed-Mode Device and Circuit Simulation,” B. Yang, J. S. Yuan, and Z. J. Shen, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 58, No. 12, pp. 4004-4010, November 2011.
“Railway Static Power Conditioners for High-speed Train Traction Power Supply System Using Three-phase V/V Transformers,” A. Luo, C. Wu, Z. J. Shen, Z. Shuai, and F. Ma, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 2844-2856, Oct 2011.
“Integration of a Monolithic Buck Converter Power IC and Bondwire Inductors with Ferrite Epoxy Glob Cores,” Hongwei Jia, Jian Lu, Xuexin Wang, Karthik Padmanabhan, and Z. J. Shen, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 1627-1630, June 2011.
“New Physical Insights on Power MOSFET Switching Losses,” Y. Xiong, S. Sun, H. Jia, P. Shea, and Z. J. Shen, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 525-531 Feb 2009.
“Design Considerations for Maintaining DC-Side Voltage of Hybrid Active Power Filter with Injection Circuit,” A. Luo, Z. Shuai, Z. J. Shen, W. Zhu, and X. Xu, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 24, No. 1, January 2009.
“Lateral Power MOSFET for Megahertz-Frequency, High-density DC/DC Converters,” Z. J. Shen, D. Okada, F. Lin, S. Anderson, and X. Cheng, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 21, Issue 1, pp. 11-17, Jan, 2006.
“Reducing Voltage Rating and Cost of Vehicle Power Systems with a New Transient Voltage Suppression Technology,” Z. J. Shen, F. Robb, S. P. Robb and D. Briggs, IEEE Trans. Vehicular Tech., Nov. 2003.
- Z. Shen, "High-temperature, wirebondless, injection-molded, ultra-compact hybrid power module," U.S. Patent 8,120,153, issued on Feb 21, 2012.
- Z. Shen, "On-Chip Magnetic Components," U.S. Patent 7,719,112 B2, issued on May 18, 2010.
- Z. Shen and David Okada, "Monolithic Power Semiconductor Structures Including Pairs of Integrated Devices," U.S. Patent 7,612,418 B2, issued on Nov. 3, 2009.
- V. Garg, J. Fodera, and Z. Shen, "A Method for Operating a Vehicle," US Patent 7,558,655, issued on July 7, 2009.
- Z. Shen, "Power MOSFET," U.S. Patent 6,972,464, issued on Dec. 6, 2005.
- Z. Shen, S. P. Robb, and C.S. Mitter, "Semiconductor Device and Method of Making," US Patent 6,507,070, issued on Jan. 14, 2003.
- Z. Shen, F. Y. Robb, and S. P. Robb, "Semiconductor Device and Method of Manufacture," US Patent 6,204,097, issued on Mar. 20, 2001.
- Z. Shen and S. P. Robb, "Semiconductor Load Driver Circuit and Method Therefor", US Patent 6,166,893, issued on Dec. 26, 2000.
- Z. Shen and S. P. Robb, "Method of Driving a Load and Semiconductor Load Driver Therefor", US Patent 6,160,691, issued on Dec. 12, 2000.
- S. P. Robb, Z. Shen and K. Gauen, “Power Semiconductor Device and Method for Increasing Turn-On Time of the Power Semiconductor Device ", US Patent 5,945,868, issued on Aug. 31, 1999.
- Z. Shen and S. P. Robb, “Monolithic Clamping Circuit and Method of Preventing Transistor Avalanche Breakdown ", US Patent 5,789,951, issued on Apr. 4, 1998.
- Z. Shen and S. P. Robb, “Semiconductor Device Having High Voltage Protection Capability ", US Patent 5,536,958, issued on Jul. 16, 1996.