Event Planning Guide
Organization Social Events*
- Fill out an Organization Event Registration Form - paper or online.
- Turn in the form to the Greek Life Coordinator in the Residence and Greek Life Office in MSV no later than 5 business days prior to any organization event.
- Wait to receive confirmation from the Greek Life Coordinator to ensure your event is approved.
*If your event includes alcohol, you must fill out the Social Event Registration form.
- Fill out an Alcohol Social Event Registration Form - paper or online.
- Turn in the form to the Greek Life Coordinator in the Residence and Greek Life Office in MSV no later than 5 business days prior to the event.
- Wait to receive confirmation from the Greek Life Coordinator to ensure your event is approved (you will receive a response within two business days of submission).
- Turn in the final guest list to the Greek Life Coordinator no later than 48 hours prior to the event.
- Follow all city, country and state laws
- Appoint sober event monitors - Residence and Greek Life recommends 2 chapter members per 100 guests to serve as sober monitors. They should also agree not to drink at all the day of the event.
- Do not use chapter funds to purchase alcohol - The safest method of alcohol control is through a third-party vendor; if this is not possible, make the event BYOB. Remember that persons 21 years of age and older should be permitted to bring and consume alcohol at a BYOB party.
- Do not sell alcohol - Charging for admission or for a cup and then providing alcohol is never allowed.
- Have a sober event monitor or security guard check identification at the door and identify those over the legal drinking age with wristbands
- Have a closed party - Limit the guest list to members, dates and friends. This should be no larger than 3X the number of members (IE - 20 members = 60 guests allowed for a total of 80 people).
- Do not permit drinking games
- Serve unsalted food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Set a starting and ending time for the event
- Keep people away from roofs, open windows, balconies, open wells and docks
- Provide safe transportation - a designated driver program or third party transportation service
- Post signs which indicate your chapter complies with and enforces laws and policies with respect to alcohol
- Do not use alcohol as the main attraction
- Do not allow bottles
- If some is intoxicated, make sure that he or she is taken care of properly
- Hire security
- Have a procedure or policy defined with dealing with difficult guests
- "After hours" parties are not encouraged - often many of the guests who will attend are already intoxicated, which will increase your liability exposure