Warren SchmausProfessor, Philosophy
- Philosophy of science; history of philosophy, history and philosophy of the social sciences
- History of philosophy in 19th and early 20th c. France, especially history of philosophy of science in this period and how it gave rise to social sciences in the work of Auguste Comte, Charles Renouvier, Emile Durkheim, Lucien Levy-Bruhl, and others.
- Values and the social organization of science.
- Relationships among sociology, anthropology, psychology, and neuroscience for understanding cognition.
- Writing a book on Charles Renouvier's philosophy of science
- Editing book entitled "Auguste Comte: The Rise of Positivism" with Michel Bourdeau and Mary Pickering
- Rethinking Durkheim and His Tradition, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Durkheim's Philosophy of Science and the Sociology of Knowledge, University of Chicago Press, 1994.
- Emile Durkheim: Critical Assessments. Third series, vol. II. Co-edited with W.S.F. Pickering. London: Routledge, 2001.
Science and the Social Contract in Renouvier. HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science 1,1 (2011): 73-100.
Durkheim, Jamesian Pragmatism, and the Normativity of Truth. History of the Human Sciences 23,5 (2010): 1-16.
Durkheim and Psychology. In Religion, Economy, and Cooperation, Ilkka Pyysiainen, editor. Berlin: Mouton DeGruyter, 2010. Pp. 99-126.
Durkheim, o pragmatismo jamesiano e a normatividade daverdade. Translated into Portuguese by Alexandre Massella. In Durkheim: 150 Anos, Alexandre Massella et al., editors. Belo Horizonte, Brazil: Argumentum, 2009. Pp. 191-207.
Professional Society Memberships
Editorial Board Service
- Book review editor for HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of the Philosophy of Science. See: http://www.jstor.org/page/journal/hopos/about.html
Professional Society Service
- President of HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science.
- American Philosophical Association Philosophy of Science Association History of Science Society