Jack Cappozzo, MS
|Director of Chemistry
Institute of Food Safety and Health
6502 South Archer Road
Bldg 91, Laboratory 300
Bedford Park, IL-60501
Jack Cappozzo has over 20 years of experience working in the private sector with most of that time working in analytical chemistry measuring nutritional elements and chemical contaminants in food. He has been involved in food processing with experience in meat, tomatoes, potatoes and dairy. He has also been involved in new technologies to enhance food safety through production and in food formulation.
Microbial food safety; freshproduce and sprout safety; foodborne viruses; novel food processing techniques; low moisture food safety; large-scale experimental work involving the BSL-3 laboratory and biocontainment pilot plant.
FST/FPE 524, Fundamentals of Food ScienceFST
507 Food Analysis
1. Risk Assessment and Intervention Strategies For The Emerging Food Safety Threat Of Ochratoxin in the US, USDA-NIFA Grant
2. Rapid Methods for the determination of Adulteration, Authenticity and Quality in Olive Oil
3. Identification, characterization, and quantitation of fruit phenolic/Antioxidants by LC-MS/MS and LC-Q-TOF
4. Bioavailability of phenolic antioxidants in human serum by LC-MS/MS and LC-MS-Q-TOF
1. Tadapaneni, Kiran Ravi, Banaszewski, Katarzyna, Patazca, Eduardo, Edirisinghe, Indika, Cappozzo, Jack,Jackson, Lauren, and Burton-Freeman, Britt, Effect of High-Pressure Processing and 1. Milk on the Anthocyanin Composition and Antioxidant Capacity of Strawberry-Based Beverages, J. Agric.Food Chem, January 3, 2012, Article ASAP, DOI: 10.1021/jf2035059
2. Edirisinghe, Indika, Banaszewski, Katarzyna, Cappozzo, Jack, McCarthy, Danielle and Burton-Freeman, Britt M., Effect of Black Currant Anthocyanins on the Activation of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase (eNOS) in Vitro in Human Endothelial Cells, J. Agric. Food Chem. 2011, 59, 8616–8624.
3. Edirisinghe, Indika, Banaszewski, Katarzyna , Cappozzo, Jack , Krishnankutty, Sandhya, Ellis, Collin L., Tadapaneni, Ravi , Kappagoda, Chulani T. and Burton-Freeman, Britt M., Strawberry Anthocyanin and Its Association with Postprandial Inflammation and insulin, British Journal of Nutrition, 28 September 2011 106 : pp 913-922.
Society Memberships, Conferences, and Activities
1. AOAC Member
2. AOAC Technical Division for Reference Materials (TDRM) - Secretary
3. AOCS Member
4. ASMS Member
5. ACS Member