In recognition of the exemplary accomplishments in research, scholarship, and creative activity by faculty members and graduate students at Illinois Institute of Technology, the Office of the Provost, the Office of Research, and the IIT Chapter of Sigma Xi sponsor the annual Sigma Xi / IIT Awards for Excellence in University Research. Sigma Xi, a scientific research society, is a non-profit group of nearly 75,000 scientists and engineers who have been elected to the Society because of their research achievements or potential.
All full-time faculty members and full-time graduate students at Illinois Institute of Technology are eligible for consideration. Three or four awards will be granted in recognition of the recipients’ significant accomplishments in research, scholarship or creative activity while teaching or studying at IIT.
- A $500 award is given to a distinguished senior member of the faculty who has consistently demonstrated extraordinary leadership in research and/or creative activity.
- A second $500 award is given to a junior faculty member who has demonstrated outstanding potential in research, scholarship, and/or artistic achievement. Junior faculty is defined as an assistant or associate professor who has been employed by IIT for less than 7 years and who has graduated with a Ph.D. degree within the last 10 years.
- Up to two student awards of $250 each are given to graduate students who have demonstrated significant promise in research and scholarship through their accomplishments while at IIT.
Awardees also receive a commemorative plaque honoring their accomplishment.
Faculty nominations from 2011 and 2012 will be reconsidered this year, if the nominator requests in writing. Junior faculty nominees must continue to meet the eligibility requirements.
A completed nomination packet shall include the following components:
- A letter of nomination identifying the candidate and award level.
- A brief description of the accomplishments in research, scholarship, and/or creative activity of the nominee or applicant, and the significance and impact of this work. This description should be no more than two single-spaced pages in length.
- At least three letters of support that attest to the significance and value of the accomplishments of the nominee or applicant.
- Curriculum Vitae of the candidate.
Please send nominations and applications to Megan Goelzer (email@example.com), Office of Research, IIT Tower—7th Floor, by Friday, March 29, 2013. Questions and inquiries can be directed to Ganesh Raman, deputy vice provost for research (firstname.lastname@example.org), or to Carlo Segre, IIT Sigma Xi chapter, president (email@example.com).