During the past week, three robberies involving IIT students and their iPhones and iPads have occurred on Main Campus. In two of these cases, the offenders approached the students under the guise of borrowing the student’s mobile phone/iPad. The victims gave their devices to the offenders, who then ran away with them.
- Be extremely cautious when approached by strangers, especially if they ask to borrow your personal property. Do not give a stranger your personal property unless you feel your safety is threatened.
- If someone asks to use your phone or strikes up a conversation, say no or ignore them, and continue walking.
- Contact IIT Public Safety at 312.808.6363 (8-6363 on campus) to report any suspicious person(s), vehicle(s), or activities around campus.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you think you are being followed, cross the street, change your direction, or go to a public place where others are present. Avoid talking on a cell phone or wearing headphones when walking alone.
- Contact Public Safety for an escort if you feel uneasy about traveling alone.
Dozens of emergency phones are located throughout Main Campus (download the map of emergency phones). Use these phones to contact IIT Public Safety in the event of an emergency or if you witness suspicious activity.