The Graduate College would like to announce to all IIT faculty with laboratories a new training resource for lab safety now available for graduate students in research laboratories (areas with hazards greater than a normal office environment).
Campus policy requires that safety training be provided for all students in research laboratories. A new short course, “Graduate Student Lab Safety” (SCO 723) featuring twelve quizzes on lab safety issues is now available in the IIT Blackboard Academic Suite. Directions for students to enroll in this course are included at the end of this post.
The 12 online quizzes in SCO 723 are companions to 12 DVDs on laboratory safety now available to students and faculty at Galvin Library. Subject areas and the DVD call numbers in Galvin Library are as follows:
- Orientation to laboratory safety DVD.T55.2.O642011
- Material safety data sheets in the laboratory DVD.T55.2.M382011
- Planning for laboratory emergencies DVD.T55.2.P652011
- Laboratory ergonomics DVD.T55.2.L332011
- Electrical safety in the laboratory DVD.T55.2.E442011
- Safety showers and eye washes in the laboratory DVD.T55.2.S2442011
- Flammables and explosives in the laboratory DVD.T55.2.F432011
- Handling compressed gas cylinders in the laboratory DVD.T55.2.H362011
- Laboratory hoods DVD.T55.2.L3322011
- Safe handling of laboratory glassware DVD.T55.2.S242011
- Preventing contamination in the laboratory DVD.T55.2.P742011
- The OSHA formaldehyde standard DVD.T55.2.O842011
Which quizzes should students take? There are 12 quizzes in this course. Everyone should take the first five quizzes listed above, and should take all quizzes pertaining to their laboratory work or expected hazards. Instructors should direct their graduate students to view the appropriate DVDs and take the appropriate lab safety quizzes. Instructors should supplement the above materials with their own safety instruction, training, and testing appropriate to the hazards of their particular laboratory, workshop, or area. All items for this course are located in Main Reserves at Galvin Library (ask for them at the front desk). The DVDs are available for students to use only in the library for up to two hours. Instructors may check out the accompanying binders for up to 24 hours and the DVDs for up to six hours for in-class presentation. Instructors wanting to check out the binders plus the DVD must request them; otherwise they’ll get only the DVDs. All items are searchable in the library catalog and are also listed in Galvin Library course reserves under the course number “SAF200.”
Use of the above materials in SCO 723 is designed to help faculty meet, in part, the requirement for training of graduate students as set forth in IIT campus policy, “Chemical Hygiene Policy for Lab Safety Standards,” at Section 5.J which states: “Training: faculty, staff, and/or students working in a laboratory must be provided training by the responsible department. At a minimum, training must include: Contents of (Chemical Hygiene) Plan, availability of Plan, location of MSDSs, potential hazards in the lab, methods to detect the presence of a hazardous chemical, control methods for potential exposures, use of personal protective equipment, managing wastes and emergency response actions.”
SCO 723 is also designed to help meet, in part, the requirement for training of graduate students as set forth in IIT Campus Policy, “Instructional Laboratory and Workshop Safety Policy,” at Sec I.: “…all departments at IIT offering laboratory and/or workshops course work must provide students with laboratory and/or workshop safety instruction. Such instruction should be offered prior to the students’ use of the laboratories and/or workshops…”
If you have questions regarding these laboratory safety training materials for graduate students, please contact Glenn Krell in the Graduate College at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To enroll in the Graduate Student Lab Safety – SCO 723 class:
- Click on the Academics tab from your my.iit.edu portal page.
- In the “Registration Tools” area, click on “Add or Drop Classes.”
- From the drop down menu, select “201307 Professional Learning” and click on the Submit button.
- On the Add or Drop Classes page, under the section entitled Add Classes Worksheet, enter CRN number 70746 and click on the Submit Changes button. You are now enrolled in the class and it will appear in your Blackboard screen within a few hours.