Each year, IIT celebrates its diversity and global opportunities by participating in International Education Week (IEW), taking place November 5–9. The worldwide celebration of IEW offers a unique opportunity to reach out to people in every nation, to develop a broader understanding of world cultures and languages, and to reiterate the conviction that enduring friendships and partnerships created through international education and exchange are important for a secure future for all countries. You can make a difference by sharing with others your culture, history, government, language, food, holidays, school system, celebrations, sports, and traditions.
The International Center needs your help to make this year’s International Education Week the biggest and best ever at IIT! Thus far, an annual photo contest is being planned and the week will end with a spectacular International Fest. Please consider working with your student organization to be part of the week’s events. The International Center will promote the week’s activities through Facebook, TechNews, posters, and outreach to departments and various schools.
Some ideas include:
- Foreign Film Fest—different films from different countries each night of the week
- Dance classes
- Sports clinics or contests—examples include cricket or football/futbol/soccer
- Cooking sessions
- Global Fashion Show (this may work best if various student groups work together)
- Discussions of important social/political issues around the world such as microfinance, global health (Feel free to ask professors to get involved!)
- Global Quiz Bowl in The Bog
- Restaurant outings or neighborhood tours
- Chicago Cultural Center visits
- We’d love to hear your ideas!
Please consider getting involved. If you are interested in sponsoring an event, please email Ashley Sinclair or call her at 7-3680.