An apostille is much like an international notarization, with rules and regulations agreed upon in the Hague Convention of 1961. The apostille process serves as a way for documents to be recognized across international borders. If you are overseas and your home country requires a certified copy of your diploma or some other element of your academic record, our office can help you through this procedure.
It should be noted that in many cases when your home country requests a certified copy of your diploma, what they are really requesting is a document certifying that you have attended Illinois Institute of Technology and were awarded the degree that you claim to have been awarded.
To request documents be apostilled:
- Choose which document(s) you would like to have apostilled from the options below.
- Order each document you need by following the instructions found at each link in red and have them sent to:
IIT - Office of Registrar
3424 South State Street, Suite 2014
Tech Park South Building
Chicago, IL 60616
- Email us or mail your request with any instructions and provide the name of the country that needs the apostilled document(s). Our office will have the document(s) apostilled by the State of Illinois and then shipped to you.
We offer the following options for satisfying an apostille certification request:
- A copy of your academic transcript. Your official transcript lists all the subjects you completed, the credit units for each subject, and the grades you received. It also includes your GPA as well as any degrees you have received from IIT. The transcript may satisfy the requirements of your home country.
- A degree verification. Degree verifications are used by students and outside agencies to verify the current or past status of a student at IIT. Illinois Institute of Technology has entered into a formal agency agreement and has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to respond to all inquiries for written verification of degrees awarded, verification of past attendance, and confirmation of current enrollment status. Illinois Institute of Technology warrants that the results of the inquiries delivered by the National Student Clearinghouse, acting as our agent, are based on our records. The National Student Clearinghouse should be considered as a primary source provider for verification of degrees and confirmation of attendance of past or present attendees of Illinois Institute of Technology, just as if the information had been provided directly by the Office of the Registrar. Please visit the National Student Clearinghouse website to fulfill this request for information. You may call the National Student Clearinghouse at 703.742.4200.
- A copy of your diploma [pdf]. If you require an apostilled diploma, you will need to provide us with a copy of your diploma and it will be surrendered. IIT does not keep copies of diplomas on file.
We have a notary public available to help with this process. There is no charge to students for the notary service regarding academic records.
Additional Assistance and Questions
You can reach the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com. Please remember to include your full name and provide identifying information (student number, date of birth, etc.) when contacting our office.