An apostille is much like an international notarization, with rules and regulations agreed upon in the Hague Convention of 1961. The apostille process serves as a way for documents to be recognized across international borders. If you are overseas and your home country requires a certified copy of your diploma or some other element of your academic record, our office can help you through this very complicated procedure.
It should be noted that in many cases when your home country requests a certified copy of your diploma, what they are really requesting is a document certifying that you have attended Illinois Institute of Technology and were awarded the degree that you claim to have been awarded.
We offer the following options for satisfying this request:
- A copy of your academic transcript. Your transcript lists all the subjects you completed, the credit units for each subject, and the grades you received. It also includes your GPA as well as any degrees you have received from IIT. The transcript may satisfy the requirements of your home country.
- A degree verification. Degree verifications are used by students and outside agencies to verify the current or past status of a student at IIT. Illinois Institute of Technology has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to respond to all inquiries for verification of degrees awarded, verification of past attendance, and confirmation of current enrollment status. Please be advised that Illinois Institute of Technology has entered into a formal agency agreement with the National Student Clearinghouse to perform written verifications of degrees and past attendance, as well as confirmation of current enrollment status. Illinois Institute of Technology warrants that the results of the inquiries delivered by the National Student Clearinghouse, acting as our agent, are based on our records. The National Student Clearinghouse should be considered as a primary source provider for verification of degrees and confirmation of attendance of past or present attendees of Illinois Institute of Technology, just as if the information had been provided directly by our office. Please visit the National Student Clearinghouse website to fulfill this request for information. You may call the National Student Clearinghouse at 703.742.4200.
- A copy of your diploma. If you require a notarized diploma, you will need to provide us with your diploma. IIT does not keep copies of diplomas on file. To begin the process, please email the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com with your request.
We have a notary public available to help with this process. There is no charge to students for the notary service regarding academic records.
To have the document(s) you choose apostilled:
- Choose which document(s) you would like to have certified.
- Follow the instructions for ordering each document you need. Instructions can be found by following the links in red above.
- Include instructions with your request for us noting that an apostille is needed.
- You will need to email or mail your request to us.
Additional Assistance and Questions
You can reach the Office of the Registrar at 312.567.3100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.