Introduction to Resubmission ApplicationsThe information on this page is taken from the NIH website.
For all original new (i.e. never submitted) and competing renewal applications submitted for the January 25, 2009 due date and beyond, NIH will accept only a single amendment (A1) to the original application (called a resubmission application).
- A resubmission application must be submitted within 37 months after the date of receipt ("receipt date") of the initial New, Renewal, or revision application (see NOT-OD-10-140). After 37 months, you may submit a New application. Any second resubmission will be administratively withdrawn and not accepted for review.
There are five requirements for a Resubmission application:
- The Summary Statement must be available in the eRA Commons (http://commons.era.nih.gov/commons).
- The PD/PI(s) must make significant changes to the application.
- An Introduction must be included that summarizes the substantial additions, deletions, and changes to the application. The Introduction must also include a response to the issues and criticism raised in the Summary Statement. The page limit for the Introduction may not exceed one page unless indicated otherwise. Please refer to the relevant section of the application instructions and the FOA.
- The substantial scientific changes must be marked in the text of the application by bracketing, indenting, or change of typography. Do not underline or shade the changes. Deleted sections should be described but not marked as deletions. If the changes are so extensive that essentially all of the text would be marked, explain this in the Introduction. The Preliminary Studies/Progress Report section should incorporate work completed since the prior version of the application was submitted.
- For Mentored Career Development Award applications, new Letters of Reference must be submitted providing an up-to-date evaluation of the applicant’s potential to become an independent researcher, and the continued need for additional supervised research experience.
See NOT-OD-07-083 for special conditions and due dates for new investigator resubmission applications submitted for consecutive review cycles. Note this applies only to new investigator R01s submitted for standard receipt dates and reviewed in recurring study sections in CSR.