Illinois Institute of Technology participates in CTA's UPass program. The CTA U-Pass offers unlimited rides for students on any CTA bus or train during the semester. CTA is transitioned to the Ventra Upass card in August 2013. You will no longer receive a new Upass every semester - your Upass will be good for five years. When school is not in session or you do not qualify as a full-time student you will be able to add money to your card and use it as a transit card. More information on your Ventra UPass can be found here.
Only students who are registered for full time academic hours (Grad students - 9 hours, Undergrad students -12 hours) are eligible to participate in the U-Pass program. The U-Pass fee of $135.00 is a mandatory fee for all full time students and can only be waived by distance learning students who reside 50 miles or more from main campus. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Vickie Tolbert in the Office of Student Affairs (MTC 209 or firstname.lastname@example.org). If you miss the initial UPass distribution date, you can pick up your UPass in the Office of the Student Affairs (MTCC 209).
Fall 2014 Information for New Students
UPASS Distribution Dates
Thursday, August 21 from 12:00 pm - 4:30 pm in the MTCC Ballroom
Monday, August 25 from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm in the MTCC Ballroom
Thursday, August 28 from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm in the MTCC Ballroom
When you come to the MTCC Ballroom you must have your IIT ID with you AND you must already be registered full time.
After August 28th, students can request / pick up their U-Pass from the Office of Student Affairs in MTCC 209.
If you are transferring from another institution and already have a Ventra Upass card, you may be able to have it transferred to IIT . Email us at email@example.com. Please include your name, student ID number, name of the college you are transferring from and the 16 digit number on the back of your card.
Fall 2014 information for returning students
CTA Ventra UPasses officially activates for the Fall semester Wednesday, August 20, 2014 for all returning students who were registered full time as of Friday August 15, 2014. If you registered full time after August 15, it is possible that your UPass activation may be delayed.. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you registered after August 15th and we will submit the request to update your status with CTA as soon as possible. It typically takes 48 hours after the request is submitted for the UPass to activate.
Please note that if you attempted to use your UPass without adding money to it between May 9th and the time it activated (August 20 or later) you may have a negative balance on the card. The Upass will not activate until the balance is cleared.
Notes about U-Pass
- Only you can use your U-Pass.You cannot share or sell your U-pass. If this rule is violated and your UPass is confiscated your UPass privileges will be canceled by CTA for a full year (you will still be charged the UPass fee).
- You cannot use your U-Pass on Metra or Pace.
- If you drop below full time during the semester, you must notify Vickie Tolbert (email@example.com) in the Office of the Dean of Students immediately. Failure to do so will result in deactivation of your UPass and no refund of the UPass fee.
- Handle your card carefully. There is a replacement fee if your card stops working as a result of abuse.
- If your U-Pass is lost or stolen please contact the Office of Student Affairs or submit your request for a new card online.
- The replacement fee for a lost/stolen/damaged U-Pass card is $50.00 (non-refundable)..
- Only 1 replacement of a lost or stolen card, per person, per year, is permitted.
More information on the CTA UPass program