OPT Dates and Deadlines
The IC's processing time is approximately 3 weeks, and the processing time from USCIS receipt notice date until your EAD arrives is currently 3 months (see USCIS.gov for details).
Spring 2015 graduates - submit your OPT application to the IC between Monday, February 2 - Friday, June 12
OPT processing and mailing rules:
- Complete the OPT Tutorial on the International Center website.Here!
- You do not need a job offer to apply for OPT, in fact waiting for a job offer can cause your start date to be delayed due to processing times.
- Your OPT application MAY NOT reach USCIS more than 90 days before your program end date listed on your OPT I-20.
- Your OPT STEM application MAY NOT reach USCIS more than 90 days before your OPT expiration date listed on your EAD.
- Your OPT or OPT extension MUST reach USCIS no more than 30 days after your OPT request is listed in the SEVIS system. This is the date that the IC advisor signed your I-20 when you 1st applied for OPT. You must review the reminder handout provided with your OPT application for the exact timeframe the OPT must reach USCIS.
If you disregard these timelines, your OPT/Extension application may be DENIED or DELAYED due to receiving a Request for Evidence (RFE) from USCIS.
Warning about E-filing! E-filing is only recommended in rare circumstances. You should talk to an IC advisor before e-filing or your opt applications may be denied.
Student currently working on Co-ops can now renew for Spring 2015!
Students who are currently working on co-ops and wish to renew for the Fall, can submit their Work Term Evaluations and on-line applications to the CMC. For more information, please go to www.cmc.iit.edu.
Students who plan to begin a coop or internship this Fall can make an appointment to meet with their CMC advisor now to submit their forms for approval and processing. For more information on Co-op and Internships, please go to www.cmc.iit.edu.
Remember, F1 students must be approved for CPT before beginning or returning to work. This means having the new CPT I-20 with the work authorization.
|Spring 2015 Coop Timeline