Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
Attending Voting Members: J. Budiman (CAEE), M. Bauer (CS), G. Pulliam (HUM/CAC), J. Cesarone (MMAE), B. Steffenson (SSCI), R. Trygstad (ITM), J. Twombly (SSB), G. Popovic (MSED), N. Menhart (BIOL), R. Ellis (AMAT), J. Miller (PSYC), L. Coffey (PHYS), N. Karuri (CHBE), C. Torres (ARCH), A.Unni (CHEM), R. Wadhwani (SGA), J. Saniie (ECE), M. Safar (INTM).
Also attending: J. Gorzkowski (UGAA), G. Welter (UGAA), G. Smith (UGAA), V. Foster (Compliance), M. Lopez (One-Stop), C. Emmons (Assessment), A. Hall (Registrar), L. Massengale (Library), J. Becker (SGA), V. Shah (SGA).
Absent departments: BME, ROTC.
Documents pertaining to this meeting are at:
Meeting is chaired by Kathryn Spink.
Adjourn: 1:38 p.m.
Minutes recorded by Pulliam.
1) Minutes of 10/14 meeting approved by unanimous consent with no changes.
2) (Spink) Bioinformatics BS proposal, with minor changes from version introduced in the previous UGSC meeting, passes 15-0.
3) (Spink, Emmons) NCA accreditation of IIT Common Core. Core elements being assessed are IPRO, CAC, ITP, STEM module and Human Sciences module. IPRO and CAC processes are underway. The chair will contact the provostŐs office about naming and compensating someone to oversee the assessment of the remaining elements.
4) (Spink) Subcommittee reports: ITP, Grading, Academic Honesty.
á ITP report is not ready.
o Spring exam schedule to be adjusted so certain exams for graduating seniors are early in the week.
o Course repeat policy discussion; vote to increase the number of possible courses that may be repeated for a grade and GPA change fails 9-8. Committee suggests the university needs to better communicate the existing policy to students.
á Academic Integrity:
o UFC has created five committees to look into this. Members and others interested in participating in one or more of these committees should contact Katie Spink or Tim Morrison, chair of the UFC.
o UFC requests recommendations from UGSC for best practices WRT exam proctoring and procedures. Spink and J. Miller will work on this.
5) (Wadhani) SGA encourages faculty to attend the President/Provost forum for students, to be held Thursday 10/30 at 12:45 in HH ballroom.