Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
Attending Voting Members: J. Shen(CAEE), K. Spink (BIOL), M. Beckman (CS), D. Meyer (MSED), S. Sennott (ARCH), S. Tin (MMAE), B. O'Brien (ROTC), R. Trygstad (ITM), M. Safar (INTM), E-J Lee (PSYC), J. Twombly (SSB), Y. Torun (PHYS), G. Fasshauer (AMAT), K. Stolley (HUMA), M. Tanner (CHEM)
Also attending: G. Welter (UGAA), M. Lopez (One Stop), G. Smith (UGAA), J. Dorr (Galvin), Gosz (MMAE)
Absent departments: ECE, SSCI, ChBE, BME, SGA
The meeting is chaired by Matt Bauer.
Documents pertaining to this meeting are here:
Adjourn: 1:45 p.m. Minutes recorded by Bauer.
Chair notes there is a quorum at 12:47 p.m.
Minutes of 9/25/2012 meeting are approved unanimously.
1) (Tin) Vote on proposed minor changes to Aerospace Engineering curriculum.
PASSED (8 for, 3 against, 2 abstain)
a. replace PHYS 224 with MMAE 305 (Dynamics)
b. replace MMAE 417/418/472 with a technical elective
c. replace MMAE 450 with a free elective
Phys and Armour college are requested to provide an update this semester on discussions about possible changes to the content in the PHYS sequence for engineers.
2) Discussion of proposed changes to the general education requirements, focused on communication requirements (number of C courses in major, support for Comm. Across Curiculum), humanities and social science requirements (gen ed minors need more details, issues with other minors not allowed to double count). Chair will discuss both with Dean Mitchell of the new Lewis College of Human Sciences. Also, co-curricular activities, needs outcomes defined to understand this more.
Chair will reform of old committee (with committee members and dean/chair approvals) Bauer(CS), Pulliam (HUMA), Weiss (Stuart), Kallend (MMAE), Welter (UGSC),
Flanagan (HUMA), Nippert-Eng (SSCI), Lee (PSYC), Kultermann (ARCH), Asfaw( SGA)
3) ITP common themes FORM NEW SUBCOMMITTEE, please bring nominee names
4) revival of committee to review IIT process for Incomplete grade-with
members from both UGSC and GSC. Trygstad, Zachocki, Spink to serve from UGSC.
10/23 Agenda Item
5) Herb Munsterman from the Law School will present on the new MS in
Intellectual Property Management and Markets, with discussion following on a framework for possible co-terminal degrees.