Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
Attending Voting Members: J. Twombly (SSB), X. Guan (CHEM), N. Menhart (BIO), R. Steffenson (SSCI), J. Hajek (ITM), E. Orklu (ECE), J. Miller (PSYC), M. Shobeiri (SGA), E. Vosler (ROTC), M. Bauer (CS), F. Weening (AMAT), G. Pulliam (HUM/CAC), P. Troyk (BME), C. Torres (ARCH), S.H. Hong (CHBE), J. Budiman (CAEE). G. Popovic (MSED), M. Safar (INTM)
Also attending: J. Gorzkowski (UGAA), G. Smith (UGAA), K. Spink (PreHealth), N. Novak (Galvin Library), R. Carlson (School of Applied Technology), (R. Betts (College of Science), S. Pariseau (UGAA), S. Hudson (SGA), B. Korel (CS), M. Lopez (UGAA)
Departments with absent voting members: MMAE, PHY
Quorum declared at: 12:46
Adjourn at: 1:29
Documents for this meeting are available at:
Meeting chaired by Ray Trygstad
Minutes recorded by Rebecca Steffenson
1. Minutes of the 10/24/17 Meeting (http://www.iit.edu/~ugsc/10-24-17minutes.html)
Minutes approved unanimously.
2. SGA Proposal for Graduating with Honors at Illinois Tech [G. Shobeiri SGA] Report from the Chair: This proposal was approved by the University Faculty Council and will become university policy at the time of publication of the Fall 2018 Bulletin.
3. New Degree Proposal: Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity and Information Technology [J. Hajek ITM] Proposal at http://www.iit.edu/~ugsc/documents/BS_in_Cybersecurity_and_IT_Proposal_2017.pdf
Further discussion focused on opposition from ECE and CS, the nature of a B.S in science versus a B.S. in applied technology and the course sequencing of the degree. CS and ECE indicated opposition to this degree, on the basis that it would be in competition with offerings in their departments, and asked for administration level discussions to continue about multidisciplinary or joint degrees. Questions were also raised about why the degree was being offered as a BS in Science instead of a BS in applied technology given the lack of tenured faculty in ITM. A motion presented to change the name of the degree to BS in Applied Cyber Security and Information Technology passed 9-0. ITM reported that it was reworking its course sequencing and that the current course numbers do not reflect course difficulty.
Motion to pass the BS in Applied Cyber Security and Information Technology passed 8-2.
4. Other old business
5. Illinois Techs New Online Program and Policy Proposal Software [S. Pariseau Academic Affairs]. Update on the new online curriculum management tool, CourseLeaf CIM Management, coming for Spring 2018. Documentation is at http://www.iit.edu/~ugsc/documents/CIM_flyer.pdf
The new software program creates an automated work flow which follows the existing governance process electronically. You will now be able to see what is online without contacting UGAA.
6. Premed Minor Course Addition [K. Spink Director of Pre-Health Professions Programs] (Information only) The University Premedical Advisory Committee has approved COM371 Persuasion as a communication option for the premed minor. It does not replace any other COM classes listed, but is added to that list.
7. Reminder: Need for faculty from each academic unit score rubrics on IPRO day [R. Steffenson IIT Core Curriculum Assessment Committee]
Thank you to academic units who have volunteered faculty to score rubrics on IPRO day. Faculty are still needed from several units. Steffenson will email a final reminder to representatives and college administrators.
8. Other New Business
9. The next UGSC meeting will be November 28, 2017 at 12:45pm in WH 115. This will be the final UGSC meeting of the Fall 2017 term.