Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee 3/13/2012
Attending Voting Members: J. Saniie (ECE), J. Hopkins (PSYC), F. Teymour (CHBE), G. Pulliam (HUM/CAC), T. Bekyarova (BIOL), M. Safar (INTM), J. Twombly (SSB), G. Fasshauer (AM), M. Beckman (CS), Ray Trygstad (ITM), M. Snyder (CAEE), B. Cage (CHEM).
Also attending: M. Lopez (UGAA), G. Smith (UGAA), G. Welter (UGAA), P. Piotrowski (GL), J. Kallend (ACE), G. Doyle (VP A,S, DI), T. Jacobius (IPRO), P. Zachocki (Registrar).
The meeting is chaired by Matt Bauer.
Adjourn: 1:35 p.m. Minutes recorded by Pulliam
Chair notes there is not a quorum at 12:50 p.m. Meeting is convened for discussion of action item 1a) Process for approving co-terminal degrees.
Chair notes there is a quorum at 1:00 p.m. Minutes of 2/28/2012 meeting are approved unanimously.
Return to item 1a): Of three possible approval processes, "Option 3" is approved unanimously: All co-terminal degrees should be voted on individually by the UGSC.
3a) Approval of new co-terminal degrees which have no changes to the BS degree: all are approved unanimously.
- BS CS and MS CS or MAS CS
- BS AMAT and MS CS or MAS CS
- BS CPE and MS CS or MAS CS - No changes to either degree, 9 hours shared
- BS CPE and MS ECE
- BSARCE+MAS Construction Engineering and Management
- BSARCE+MAS Structural Engineering
- BSARCE+MAS Architectural Engineering
- BSCE+MAS Construction Engineering and Management
- BSCE+MAS Environmental Engineering
- BSCE+MAS Geotechnical Engineering
- BSCE+MAS Structural Engineering
- BSCE+MAS Transportation Engineering
- BS CHE and MS IN FPE
- BS CHE and MAS IN FPE
- BS CHE and MS IN CHE
- BS CHE and MAS IN CHE
- Bachelor of ITM and Master of ITM
- Bachelor of ITM and Master of Cyber Forensics and Security
3b) Approval of new co-terminal degrees which have changes to the BS degree: all are approved unanimously.
- BS PHYS and MS CS or MAS CS - CS330 Discrete Math and CS430 Algorithms allowed to count for 2 math elecs in BS PHYS, 6 hours of BS in CS shared with MS in CS
- BS BIOL and MS CS or MAS CS - BS 2 extra hours, two BIOL elecs changed to CS elec, 6 hours shared
- BS EE and MS ECE - 6 hours of tech elecs now required to be ECE elecs, 6 hours of BS in EE shared with MS in ECE
- BS BIOL and MAS FST - Three FST courses (9 credits) count towards the Biology electives in the original BS in Biology program
- BS BCHM and MAS FST - Technical electives in the original Biochemistry program are replaced by Biology 225 and 9 credits of FST courses
1b) UGSC commends the general education review subcommittee on its work so far and authorizes it to continue. Prof. Kallend asks for deans/directors to also sign off on its work.
3d) Information item (Pulliam): new Humanities major specialization available in Digital Humanities. PDF is here.
3c) Revision of New Undergraduate Program form. New version omits marketing information and adds CIP designation. Approved unanimously. PDF is here.
2a) IPRO objectives review subcommittee report (Snyder): Subcommittee will meet Monday (19 or 26?) and will have new information at 3/27 UGSC meeting.
New informational item (Doyle): "Brazil Science without Borders Program."
Agenda Action Items
0) Unanimous consent to approve 2/14/2012 minutes.
2a) Discussion of General Education subcommittee Attributes and Skills document. A version of this will come up for a vote at the next UGSC meeting. PDF is here.
1) Voting item: UGSC approval process for co-terminal degrees. Discussion centers on item 1(b) of the document, which is here. Discussion and vote carried over to next UGSC meeting.
Other agenda items postponed until next meeting.