Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
Attending Voting Members: R. Steffenson (SSCI), G. Pulliam (HUM/CAC), J. Miller (PSYC), G. Popovic (MSED), C. Wark (MMAE), C. Hood (CS), R. Ellis (AMAT), J. Saniie (ECE), J. Twombly (SSB), M. Safar (INTM), P. Snopok (PHYS), R. Trygstad (ITM), N. Menhart (BIOL), G. Tawari (SGA), R. Wang (CHEM), A. Schachman (ARCH), P. Troyk (BME), J. Budiman (CAEE), N. Karuri (CHBE).
Also attending: G. Welter (UGAA), G. Smith (UGAA), J. Gorzkowski (UGAA), S. Pariseau (Academic Affairs), P. Anderson (ACE), V. Foster (Compliance), C. Emmons (Assessment), C. Torres (CoA), J. Snapper (UFC), S. Spicknall (TechNews).
Departments with absent voting members: ROTC.
Quorum declared at 12:46
Adjourn at 1:44.
Documents pertaining to this meeting are at:
Meeting chaired by Kathryn Spink.
Minutes recorded by Pulliam.
1) Minutes of the 3/8/2016 meeting are approved by unanimous consent.
2) Subcommittee’s Pass/Fail proposal discussion. Amendments are suggested and Pulliam will come up with language to be distributed to UGSC members before the first April meeting, addressing:
(a) departments will control which of their courses may or may not be taken as P/F;
(b) students may take as P/F free electives and other courses designated by their academic programs;
(c) students may take as P/F any courses which do not apply to their overall degree programs.
NOTE: (a) must supersede (b) and (c).
3) (Welter) Information item: DegreeWorks is not official—advisers and students should not treat it as such.
4) (Spink and Snapper) Announcement: Faculty participants are needed for the April 2 Camras Quiz Bowl team to compete against the student team.
5) (Spink) Information from the last UFC meeting: the students’ petition for better feedback from instructors on their progress in courses received strong UFC pushback on the issue of mandatory midterm grades for all undergraduate courses. UGSC was asked to revisit the issue and come up with other options. Pulliam will come up with language on:
(a) mandatory minimum feedback policy for instructors;
(b) recommendations on how often faculty should provide feedback;
(c) process by which students may express concern over lack of feedback.