Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
Attending Voting Members: R. Steffenson (SSCI), G. Pulliam (HUM/CAC), J. Miller (PSYC), G. Popovic (MSED), C. Wark (MMAE), M. Bauer (CS), R. Ellis (AMAT), J. Saniie (ECE), J. Twombly (SSB), M. Safar (INTM), P. Snopok (PHYS), R. Trygstad (ITM), N. Menhart (BIOL), G. Tawari (SGA), T. Brasek (ROTC), R. Wang (CHEM).
Also attending: G. Welter (UGAA), G. Smith (UGAA), J. Gorzkowski (UGAA), S. Pariseau (Academic Affairs), P. Anderson (ACE), L. Massengale (GL), C. Emmons (Assessment), C. Torres (CoA), D. Savage (GL), M. Pelsmajer (AM).
Departments with absent voting members: ARCH, BME, CAEE, CHBE.
Quorum declared at 12:48
Adjourn at 1:42.
Documents pertaining to this meeting are at:
Meeting is chaired by Kathryn Spink.
Minutes recorded by Pulliam.
1) Minutes of the 2/23/2016 meeting are approved by unanimous consent.
2) (Savage) Open Education Initiative discussion.
3) (Steffenson) New BS in Global Studies; passes unanimously.
4) (Pelsmajer) Co-terminal degree program with BS in Applied Mathematics and Master of Mathematical Finance; passes unanimously,
5) (Wang) Co-terminal degree program with BS in Chemistry and MS in Biology for the Health Professions; passes unanimously.
6) (Spink/Pulliam) Course repeat/substitution for GPA policy proposal; passes 12-3.
Current rule: Undergraduate students may repeat up to three courses for a change of grade. Eligible grades for course repetition are E, D and (with advisor permission) C.
Proposed rule: Undergraduate students may repeat up to three courses at the 100 and 200 levels for a change of grade; they may also repeat up to three courses at the 300 and 400 levels for a change of grade. Eligible grades for course repetition are E, D and (with advisor permission) C. Repeat options not exercised at the 100 and 200 levels may not be carried forward to the 300 and 400 levels.
7) (Pulliam)Music performance transfer hours proposal—increases from 3 to 9 the number of such hours allowed to count toward an IIT degree; passes unanimously.
Current rule: Undergraduate students may count up to three hours of transferred music performance coursework toward an IIT degree, either as free electives (in programs which have them) or for the minor in Music.
Proposed rule: Undergraduate students may count up to nine hours of transferred music performance coursework toward an IIT degree, either as free electives (in programs which have them) or for the minor in Music.
8) (SGA petition) Improvement of faculty to student communication on course progress; UGSC is in favor of midterm grades being required to be posted for all courses, not just 100- and 200-level courses; UGSC also supports encouraging faculty to use additional methods to communicate with students on course progress during academic terms; chair will take the UGSC’s report to the UFC.
9) (Spink) UGSC meetings will become paperless for the rest of the term to gauge feasibility. Members are responsible for bringing electronically distributed materials to meetings in the form that best suits themselves.