Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
Attending Voting Members: R. Steffenson (SSCI), G. Pulliam (HUM/CAC), G. Popovic (MSED), C. Hood (CS), R. Ellis (AMAT), J. Saniie (ECE), M. Safar (INTM), P. Snopok (PHYS), R. Trygstad (ITM), N. Menhart (BIOL), G. Tawari (SGA), R. Wang (CHEM), A. Schachman (ARCH), P. Troyk (BME), J. Budiman (CAEE), T. Brasek (ROTC).
Also attending: G. Smith (UGAA), J. Gorzkowski (UGAA), S. Pariseau (Academic Affairs), V. Foster (Compliance), C. Emmons (Assessment), C. Torres (CoA), S. Spicknall (TechNews), BJ Englehardt (Career Services), A. Raina (SGA), P. Zachocki (Registrar).
Departments with absent voting members: CHBE, MMAE, PSYC, SSB.
Quorum declared at 12:49
Adjourn at 1:47.
Documents pertaining to this meeting are at:
Meeting chaired by Kathryn Spink.
Minutes recorded by Pulliam.
1) Minutes of the 3/22/2016 meeting are approved by unanimous consent.
2) (Pulliam) C-course review report for Biology and Biomedical Engineering Departments is accepted unanimously, and will be forwarded to UGAA, the RegistrarŐs office, and the UFC.
3) (Wang) Co-terminal BS in Chemistry and MS in Sustainability Management is approved unanimously.
4) (Trygstad) Office of Professional DevelopmentŐs program modification proposal is pulled back from the UGSC for further consideration.
5) (Spink) Committee elections for AY 2016-2017: All results were unanimous: Chair—Ray Trygstad; Vice-chair—Greg Pulliam; Secretary—Rebecca Steffenson.
6) (Snopok) Information item: New physics course – PHYS 301Math Methods in Physics.
7) (Spink & Pulliam) Pass/Fail proposal, with amendments, passes 14-1.
Pass/Fail Option Proposal
Undergraduates at IIT may take up to 3 courses as Pass/Fail, provided that any such course meets the following criteria:
1. The department offering the course has designated it as eligible for the Pass/Fail grading option, and
2. The course is:
a. A free elective within the studentŐs major program, or
b. Designated as eligible for Pass/Fail grading by the academic unit or other authority which oversees the studentŐs major and/or minor programs, or
c. A course taken above and beyond all of the studentŐs programsŐ requirements for graduation.
á If a student takes a course as Pass/Fail, a Pass will be earned for the equivalent of a standard grade of A, B, C or D, and will not figure into GPA calculations; a Fail will equal the standard grade of E, and will figure into GPA calculations.
á Students must declare their intention to take a course pass/fail by the end of the add/drop period.
á A course taken initially as pass/fail may only be repeated for a grade change as pass/fail; likewise, a course taken initially as a standard graded course may only be repeated for a change of grade as a standard graded course.
8) (Spink) Course feedback resolution. Discussion. Action postponed to 4/26 meeting as time ran out.