Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
Attending Voting Members: J. Saniie (ECE), E-J Lee (PSYC), K. Spink (BIOL), M. Safar (INTM), J. Twombly (SSB), Y. Torun (PHYS), R. Trygstad (ITM), F. Weening (AMAT), B. Steffenson (SSCI), K. Cassel (MMAE), J. Shen (CAEE), F. Teymour (ChBE), B. O’Brien (ROTC), S. Sennott (ARCH), M. Beckman (CS), G. Pulliam (HUM/CAC), S. Ahua (SGA).
Also attending: G. Welter and G. Smith (UGAA), J. Dorr (GL), P. Zachocki (SRR), M. Lopez (One Stop), G. Fu (CAEE)
The meeting is chaired by Matt Bauer.
Adjourn: 1:35 p.m. Minutes recorded by Pulliam.
Chair notes there is a quorum at 12:45 p.m.
1) Pulliam is reappointed UGSC secretary unanimously
2) Minutes of 4/24/2012 meeting are approved unanimously.
3) G. Fu: Changes to CAEE BS programs. Capstone design course (3 hours) moves from IPRO to the major curricula. PHYS III will be removed from the major curricula to make room. No change in overall credit hours. First hearing: vote to be taken 9/11.
4) Discussion: G. Pulliam. HUM department and CAC are considering eliminating differently-numbered courses COM 101 and COM 111 for native English speakers and non-native speakers, respectively. UGSC input requested and received.
5) J. Twombly: co-terminal BSBA/MPA degree introduced and discussed. First hearing: vote to be taken 9/11.
6) Upcoming issues:
a) request provost come with information on new Lewis College of Human Sciences.
b) IPRO 397 permanent approval
c) review process for approval of individual IPROs
d) framework for review of general education requirements
e) ESL assessment and courses for undergraduate students
f) revival of committee to review IIT process for Incomplete grade—with members from both UGSC and GSC. Trygstad, Zachocki, Spink to serve from UGSC.
Tabled until next (9/11) meeting: proposal that FPE/FST 200 be adopted as a general education science elective (Burton-Freeman).