Minutes of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
Attending Voting Members: B. Steffenson (SSCI), G. Pulliam (HUM/CAC), J. Miller (PSYC), G. Popovic (MSED), C. Torres (ARCH), C. Wark (MMAE), M. Bauer (CS), R. Trygstad (ITM), G. Fasshauer (AMAT), N. Menhart (BIOL), J. Saniie (ECE), J. Budiman (CAEE), M. Safar (INTM), N. Karuri (CHBE), P. Snopok (PHYS), V. Shah (SGA), B. Haferkamp (BME), S. Lindmark (ROTC).
Also attending: G. Welter (UGAA), J. Gorzkowski (UGAA), G. Smith (UGAA), C. Emmons (Assessment), P. Zachocki (Registrar), A. Hall (Registrar), P. Anderson (ACE), C. White (VP Academic Affairs), J. Snapper (UFC), R. Betts (CoS), M. Lopez (One-Stop).
Absent departments: CHEM, SSB.
Quorum is declared at 12:52.
Adjourn at 1:49.
Documents pertaining to this meeting are at:
Meeting is chaired by Kathryn Spink.
Minutes recorded by Pulliam.
1) Minutes of the 4/28/2015 meeting are approved by assent.
2) (Fasshauer) Information item: Changes in the teaching of Calculus. MATH 149 is eliminated. MATH 148 is restructured to become a direct lead-in to MATH 151. MATH 148 retitled ŇPreparation for Calculus.Ó
3) (White) Message from the Provost. She will attend a UGSC meeting in October.
4) (White/Zachocki) Changes in grading policy:
á Incomplete (I) grade is unavailable during and after finals week.
á Incomplete grade now requires a student-initiated form (available on SRR website) which is a contract between student and instructor. Signed form to be submitted directly to the registrarŐs office.
á NA grade is now only available at midterm.
á Students who miss the final exam are to be given the grade they earned, and if the situation is eventually rectified, a grade change form can be submitted.
5) (Zachocki) The final exam schedule will be published by the end of September. Instructors or departments wishing to give combined-section exams in a large space should contact the registrarŐs office.
6) (Spink) Updated Pre-Med Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program is presented. It is aligned with changes made to the pre-med minor last AY. Vote to be taken at the next meeting.
7) (Spink) Do we want to reconstitute the Themes subcommittee? Vote fails to do so, 0-1.
8) (Spink) At the SGAŐs request, the grading subcommittee is reconstituted to again explore the issue of Pass/Fail grades for some courses. Membership: G. Popovic, V. Shah, J. Snapper, G. Welter.
9) (White) Discussion question: When is it acceptable for an academic unit to specify how the core curriculum is satisfied? Brief discussion will be continued at the next meeting.