This camp will introduce the student to the basic offensive cybersecurity skills that are essential in identifying a system's security vulnerabilities in an ethical manner. This will be accomplished by having the student play the role of a "Red Team" member. Red teams are typically made up of professionals authorized within an organization to attack a system as a malevolent hacker would in order to determine and exploit its vulnerabilities. These findings are then fed back to defensive security specialists to aid in further improving the system's defenses. Ethical hacking skills such as these are in high demand as they play an important role in improving the effectiveness of an organization's security posture.
Students will participate in hands-on labs from start to finish, using tools used by security professionals within virtual environments. The labs will include:
- Reconnaissance/Information Gathering
- Malware Exploitation
- Password Cracking
- Network Sniffing
- Man-in-the-Middle Attacks
- ARP Poisoning
- DNS Poisoning
Eligibility and Program Requirements
- Students must be at least 14 years old to participate.
- Access to a laptop or desktop computer, stable internet access, and the ability to download and install software is required.
- No prerequisite knowledge is required; however, it is recommended that students have some technical knowledge. Students practice hands-on, basic techniques and continue into advanced techniques while building small project-based websites and web applications.
This program will require the download and installation of software and the use of video conferencing. To participate, students should plan to use a laptop or desktop computer with the minimum specifications:
- Access to high-speed internet
- There is a 4 GB minimum—8 GB is recommended—needed of RAM
- Hard drive space of 60-100 GB or larger
- Webcam and speakers/headset and microphone are recommended
- Windows/Mac OS preferred
Please note that students will not be able to participate fully in the program with Chromebooks, tablets, or cell phones, and their use is not advised.
Questions about the application process? Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.