Note: This program's format has been changed from residential to daytime/non-residential only due to ongoing COVID-19 safety precautions around in-person programming for the summer.
Non-residential: $795; $100 deposit due upon registration
Residential (on-campus living included): $1,395 per student; $100 deposit due upon registration - not offered for summer 2021
Date & Time
August 2 - 6 (M-F), 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
The first half of each day will be spent in the chemistry laboratory conducting socially-distanced, hands-on work. During the second half of the day, students will learn about computer-aided drug design and conduct virtual experiments in an Illinois Tech computer lab.
To apply for this program, please create an account in our application portal using the button below. Once you create an account and log in, start a new "Pre-Collegiate Summer Application" and select the program you'd like to apply for. You will receive an application decision within a few weeks of submitting your application.
Thank you for your interest in Illinois Tech Summer programs. Summer 2021 has concluded. Please check back in January for Summer 2022 programs!
Rising 10th–12th graders
The Chemistry Research Experience summer program highlights the areas of medicinal chemistry, computer-aided drug design, and organic chemistry. Students will learn basic laboratory techniques and conduct experiments in first-class chemistry teaching labs and facilities under the guidance of dedicated research professors. Through the unique chemistry research experience program, students will be exposed to a real lab environment in specialized chemistry in addition to diverse research and networking activities
Illinois Tech Pre-College is committed to creating a safe learning environment for students in the Chemistry Research Experience program. Because the program will be run in an in-person day/non-residential format, we are making the following changes to the format of the program:
- To ensure social distancing in the Chemistry and computer laboratories, this program will be limited to 7 total student participants.
- Registered students will be required to submit a negative Covid PCR test within 72 hours OR proof of vaccination of two doses of the Moderna/Pfizer vaccine or Johnson and Johnson vaccine. The vaccination date must be from two weeks prior or more at the time of the start of the program.
- All students and instructors must wear a face covering that fits snugly against the sides of their face, does not have gaps, and fully covers their nose and mouth. Please review the CDC guidelines for selecting a mask that best protects you and others around you. Extra masks and hand sanitizer will be available in the program space.
- Lunches and any provided snacks will be individually packaged.
- Temperature checks will occur daily when students arrive for the program. Students must have a temperature below 100 degrees Fahrenheit to participate. If someone starts to feel ill, the instructor must be notified immediately, and the student must leave the program.