Major and Graduation
Architecture - May 2025
When thinking about my goals, I picture them as a web. Rather than being a list of different things I want to accomplish, each goal is a part of a network of goals. All of them, whether short or long term or personal or professional are connected. Working towards one impacts my progress and success of my other goals.
In the center of the web is what you could call my main goal in life: fulfillment for myself and those around me and being able to live freely and happily, while giving back to others.
Close to the center would be my short term goals, which include building a strong foundation of architectural and professional skills, developing healthy lifestyle habits, and immersing myself in new things. Throughout my studio and design classes I want to constantly be improving my craft and producing work that I am proud of. Utilizing this work I can create portfolios to showcase my skills, while preparing myself for internships and the professional world. While still in college I hope to get internships in two or three different firms, so that I can start to figure out where I fit best in the world of architecture. Design work can be tiring and can cause burnout, so that’s why two of my other goals are to strengthen my sleep habits and also maintain a consistent school/life balance. In addition to these academic and health goals, I want to make sure that I am staying present, so that I can enjoy the little things. I want to be able to look back on my college experience and know that I made the most out of every day. This means doing things that I’m passionate about and exploring new things. I came to Chicago for a reason so I want to keep exploring new restaurants and places. I aspire to be able to cook as good as some of the chefs of these restaurants, by improving my cooking abilities. I want to continue enhancing my photography skills and I hope to capture some of the memories I will make in the rest of my time here.
I believe that in working to accomplish these goals I will be able to make the most out of my college experience while also preparing myself for life after my time at Illinois Tech.
Further out in the web are my long term goals, that focus on creating sustainable, affordable housing and engaging in community organizations. Ultimately, I want to design housing that aligns with the values of the “Homes Guarantee” which states that everyone in America should have access to safe, accessible, and affordable housing. I want to design housing units that reimagine public housing as we know it today and to hopefully dismantle some of the negative stereotypes regarding public housing. To prepare myself for that, I aim to start working in firms that focus on sustainability and community buildings. Through my initial work experience I want to build a foundation that allows me to develop the skills needed to create my own architectural projects. Concurrently, I want to expand my network, meeting people outside of college, within my industry, and those in my community. In order for my work to have the most impact and to truly fit the needs of the communities they’re designed for, I believe I must understand and learn from different perspectives. Similarly, I want to engage in community actions and organizations that fight for justice and liberation. Architecture is only one way to give back, and I do not want to limit myself to one thing but rather stand up for what I believe in, in every way I know how.
While I do not plan on focusing all of my time after college on my career, I believe that my personal goals will continue to shape themselves as time goes on. As I grow and work towards my short term goals, my long term goals will grow too.
I want to be able to look back and be proud of the experiences I have made and the impact I have had on others, through my work in architecture as well as within my personal life and community involvement. I strive to always be in the present and I want to live my life full of laughter, growth, and gratitude.
- Senator: Student Government Association (May 2021 - Present)
- Lead First Year Experience Mentor: First Year Experience Program (January 2021 - Present)
- Public Relations Chair: Citizens’ Climate Lobby (September 2020 - March 2021)
- First Year Experience Mentor: First Year Experience Program (August 2020 - December 2020)
- Sustainability Chair: Citizens’ Climate Lobby (December 2019 - May 2020)
- Outfront Minnesota Youth Leadership Council (June 2018 - July 2019)
- Senior Editor and Photographer: Southwest Yearbook (August 2018 - May 2019)
- Peer Educator: Project CLEAR (Consent Leads to Empowering and Affirming Relationships) (July 2018 - May 2019)
- Captain: Minneapolis Women’s Lacrosse Team (May 2018 - May 2019)
- Inclusive Leadership Team Member: Special Olympics Unified Schools (May 2018 - May 2019)
- Student Board of Directors: Special Olympics (May 2018 - May 2019)
- Student Leader: Principal’s Leadership Team (October 2017 - May 2019)
- Executive Team Member and Administration Coordinator: Educate Ya’ Self (August 2017 - May 2019)
- A-Team Member: Link Crew (August 2017 - May 2019)
- Tech Director: Unhinged Theatre (August 2017 - October 2018)
- Student Representative: Equity Committee (August 2017 - May 2018)