Artificial Intelligence in Business
Artificial intelligence (AI) is changing our world. Learn how AI can be used to create opportunities and solve business challenges in a course presented by Illinois Tech’s Stuart School of Business in partnership with IBM Skills Academy.
Empowering You to Leverage the Power of AI
Artificial intelligence (AI) is the science behind systems that can program themselves to classify, predict, and recommend from structured and unstructured data.
Whether it’s Netflix recommending movies, self-driving vehicles navigating city streets, or robots learning to distinguish trash from dishes to be washed, AI is becoming an inescapable part of daily life. AI is also a valuable—even necessary—tool for businesses and organizations to apply in current operations and to create new opportunities for growth.
Illinois Tech’s Stuart School of Business has partnered with IBM Skills Academy to offer Artificial Intelligence in Business, a six-week online course that provides leading edge knowledge and skills to working professionals from a wide range of industries and backgrounds.
In this course you will learn about AI—how it works, its application in industry, the use of machine learning techniques and algorithms, and different types of AI systems. Then you will apply what you’ve learned by proposing ways to use AI to solve real-world problems.
With its practical, case-based approach, this course is designed to quickly develop your understanding of how AI functions and ways in which this powerful technology could be utilized in the work that you do.
Earn IBM Digital Badges
IBM Skills Academy is a career-oriented training program that covers the latest technologies, industry practices, and high-demand skills for AI and other fast-growing fields.
Once you complete the course you can earn globally-recognized IBM credentials demonstrating your achievement and the skills you have acquired, including the IBM Artificial Intelligence Digital Badge (passing a test is required) and the IBM Enterprise Design Thinking Practitioner Badge.
Built for Busy Professionals
Artificial Intelligence for Business is completely online and asynchronous, giving you the flexibility to fit your learning into your schedule. The course takes six weeks, with recorded video lectures, assignments, and quizzes that will require an average time commitment of approximately 10 hours per week. Individual support from teaching staff will be available by email, chat, or phone during live office hours scheduled every day of the week while the course is in session.
You will receive the high-quality educational experience offered by Stuart School of Business combined with the curriculum and a cloud-enabled learning environment supplied by IBM Skills Academy.
Earn Illinois Tech academic credit: Artificial Intelligence for Business meets Illinois Tech’s rigorous academic standards. You can earn 3 academic credits (equivalent to most semester-length courses at Stuart) if you successfully complete the course and enroll in any Stuart master’s degree or certificate program within three years.
Artificial Intelligence for Business is taught with a practical, comprehensive approach to quickly develop your understanding of AI and its possible applications in your business or organization. Topics covered:
- History and evolution of AI
- How AI systems understand, reason, learn, and interact
- Industry’s experience using AI, with use cases
- Machine learning (ML) techniques and the algorithms that power those systems
- AI systems that understand language and those that understand vision
- Basic concepts of Design Thinking
- Apply your learning: Propose solutions to real world scenarios leveraging AI methodologies and technologies
Illinois Tech’s Stuart School of Business has partnered with IBM Skills Academy to offer Artificial Intelligence in Business. IBM Skills Academy is a skills-oriented training program to empower students of various backgrounds with the skills needed to excel in today’s high-demand technologies. Course faculty have completed training to teach this course and are supported by content, pedagogy, and a cloud-enabled learning environment supplied by IBM.
Upon successful completion of this course, students can earn IBM Digital Badges, including the IBM Artificial Intelligence Digital Badge (passing a test is required) and the IBM Enterprise Design Thinking Practitioner Badge. IBM Digital Badges are extremely valuable credentials for the following reasons:
- Global Recognition: You gain instant recognition by organizations across industries and around the world.
- Easy Sharing: You can post your badge to many social media sites and add it to your digital signature, thus allowing you to powerfully showcase your new skills.
- Employment Opportunities: IBM Digital Badges demonstrate proficiency and related technical skills in a particular discipline. Current and potential employers will be able to use this as part of their recruiting process.
Artificial Intelligence for Business is offered in an online format that provides students with maximum flexibility along with real-time, individualized support from teaching staff during extensive office hours that are scheduled throughout the course.
- Course is 100 percent online and asynchronous
- Self-paced with weekly deadlines
- Weekly recorded video lectures, assignments, and quizzes
- Student time commitment for course: 10 hours per week (average)
- Duration of the course: 6 weeks
Office hours for individualized support
Teaching staff will hold office hours to provide synchronous (live), one-to-one support through email, chat, or phone at the following times throughout the course:
- Weekdays: 2 p.m.–7 p.m. and 8 p.m.–10 p.m. (all times CT)
- Saturdays and Sundays: noon–2 p.m.
- Next course session: Monday, September 14, 2020 through Friday, October 23
- Course is offered bimonthly (6 times per year)
- Students will receive letter grades for this course.
- Students can earn 3 academic credits from Illinois Tech if they successfully complete the course and enroll in any Stuart master’s degree or certificate program within three years
Course tuition is $750 plus. Additional fees may be applicable.
Siva K. Balasubramanian, Ph.D.
Harold L. Stuart Endowed Chair in Business, Associate Dean, and Director of Stuart School Management Science Programs
In addition to his distinguished career as a manager, educator, and academic administrator, Dr. Balasubramanian is internationally recognized for his research in areas such as marketing communications and diffusion of new product innovations. He frequently conducts business seminars for senior corporate executives in the United States and abroad and serves as a business consultant. Read his bio