You will complete a first-year assessment practicum testing children applying to the Chicago Public School’s Selective Enrollment Program, which involves approximately 15–20 hours per week from November through the beginning of March. This is an internal practicum that takes place in the Center for Research and Service, housed within the Department of Psychology.
In years two through four, you will complete three years of external practica at sites around the Chicago area, which involve 15-20 hours per week throughout the year. During your second year therapy practicum, your training site will focus on developing general diagnostic assessment and intervention skills. During years three and four, your training sites will be more advanced and specialized in an area of your choice. Examples of specialized training sites include those focusing on neuropsychological assessment, medical psychology, pediatric behavioral medicine, rehabilitation, inpatient and outpatient mental health, and couples and family therapy.
Recent practicum placements:
- Advocate Illinois Masonic (adult outpatient, behavioral health, pediatric development)
- Alexian Brothers (adult neuropsychology)
- City Colleges of Chicago Wellness Centers
- DePaul Family & Community Services (parent-child interaction therapy clinic)
- Depression and Anxiety Speciality Clinic of Chicago
- Family Counseling Center
- Hartgrove Hospital (outpatient, inpatient, and partial-hospitalization programs)
- Hines Veterans Administration Medical Center (spinal cord injury rehab, primary care behavioral health, neuropsychology)
- HIV Care at Mercy Hospital
- Illinois Tech Student Health and Wellness Center
- Leyden Family Services
- Loyola University Medical Center (heart and lung transplant)
- MacNeal Hospital–Euclid Center
- Malcolm X Wellness Center
- Northshore (pediatric and adult neuropsychology)
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- Rush Medical Center (pediatrics, pain, neuropsychology, psychosocial oncology)
- Stroger Hospital of Cook County
- Trilogy Behavioral Healthcare
- University of Illinois at Chicago (adult neuropsychology)
- University of Chicago (CBT, neuropsychology, eating disorders)
- Wellington Counseling Group
In your final year, you will participate in a year-long, funded internship accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). This experience is designed to strengthen your clinical skills and ready you for work as a psychologist. Additional professional resources are available through the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students and the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers.
Recent Site Placements
Veterans Affairs Medical Centers
- Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Bedford, Mass.
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Danville, Ill.
- Detroit, Mich.
- Eastern Kan.
- Hines, Ill. (Chicago area)
- Hudson Valley, N.Y.
- Little Rock, Ark.
- Jackson, Miss.
- Miami, Fla.
- Milwaukee, Wisc.
- North Chicago, Ill.
- North Texas, Texas
- Phoenix, Ariz.
- Salem, Va.
- San Diego, Calif.
- Westside (Chicago), Ill.
Other Medical Institutions
- Brown University
- Children's Hospital, Minneapolis
- Children's Hospital of Michigan
- Dupont Hospital for Children (Del.)
- Hennepin County Medical Center (Minneapolis)
- Henry Ford Health Science Center (Detroit)
- Louisiana State University
- Mt. Sinai Medical Center (New York)
- Northeastern Ohio Universities Consortium
- Oak Forest Hospital (Chicago area)
- Oklahoma Health Consortium
- Rush Medical Center (Chicago)
- SCO Health Services (Ottawa, Canada)
- Tulane University
- University of Alabama, Birmingham
- University of California, San Francisco
- University of Chicago
- University of Indiana
- University of Miami
- University of Minnesota
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- University of Virginia
- University of Washington
- Allendale Association (Ill.)
- Illinois State University Counseling Center
- The Menta Group (Ill.)
- Milwaukee County Mental Health Center
- University of Akron Counseling Center
- Western Missouri Mental Health Center