Louis N. Cattafesta III
- John G. and Jane E. Olin Endowed Department Chair in Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Penn State University, 1992
M.S. in Aeronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Penn State University, 1986
- Fluid dynamics
- Active and passive flow control
- Actuators and sensors
- Experimental methods and uncertainty analysis
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Fellow, American Physical Society (APS)
- Fellow, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS)
- Member, Acoustical Society of America (ASA)
- Associate Editor, Experiments in Fluids
- Chelsea Solano and Louis Cattafesta, "Modeling, design, and optimization of a dielectric elastomer acoustic liner," International Journal of Aeroacoustics, October 2023, https://doi.org/10.1177/1475472X231199187
- Ross Richardson, Yang Zhang, and Louis Cattafesta, “Sensor Decontamination via Conditional Spectral Analysis,” Experiments in Fluids, 64:163, September 2023, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-023-03705-9
- Jung-Hee Seo, Yang Zhang, Rajat Mittal, and Louis N. Cattafesta, “Vortex induced sound prediction of slat noise from time-resolved particle image velocimetry data,” Experiments in Fluids, 2023, 64:99, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-023-03636-5.
- Wu, W., Meneveau, C., Mittal, R., Padovan, A., Rowley, C., and Cattafesta, L., “Response of a turbulent separation bubble to zero-net-mass-flux jet perturbations,” Phys. Rev. Fluids, 7, 084601, Aug. 2022, https://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevFluids.7.084601
- Singh, S., Ukeiley, L., Zhang, Y., Cattafesta, L., and· Taira, K., “Supersonic cavity flow control using a spanwise array of leading–edge tabs,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Feb. 2022, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C036678
- Zhang, Y., Cattafesta, L.N. III, Pascioni, K.A., Choudhari, M.M., Khorrami, M.R., Lockard, D.P., Turner, T., “Assessment of slat extensions and a cove filler for slat noise reduction,” AIAA J, September 2021, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J060502
- Liu, Q., Sun, Y., Yeh, C.–A., Ukeiley, L.S., Cattafesta, III, L.N., and Taira, K., “Unsteady control of supersonic turbulent cavity flow based on resolvent analysis,” J. Fluid Mech., vol. 925, A5, August 2021, https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2021.652
- Bao, S., T. Kanai, Zhang, Y., Guo, W. and Cattafesta III, L.N., “Stereoscopic detection of hot spots in superfluid 4He (He II) for accelerator–cavity diagnosis,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 161, 120259, November 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2020.120259
- Zhang, Y., Cattafesta, L.N., and Ukeiley, L., “Spectral Analysis Modal Methods (SAMMs) using non–time–resolved PIV.” Exp Fluids, 61:226, October 2020, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348–020–03057–8
- Deem, E., Cattafesta, L.N., Hemati, M.S., Zhang, H., Rowley, C.W., and Mittal, R., “Adaptive control of a separated laminar boundary layer using online dynamic mode decomposition,” J. Fluid Mech, vol. 903, A21, September 2020, https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2020.546
- Sellappan, P., Alvi, F. S. and Cattafesta, L. N., “Lagrangian and Eulerian measurements in high–speed jets using multi–pulse shake–the–box and fine scale reconstruction (VIC#),” Exp Fluids, 61:157, June 2020, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348–020–02993–9
- Pan, Z., Zhang, Y., Gustavsson, J., Hickey, J.–P., and Cattafesta, L., “Unscented Kalman filter (UKF) based nonlinear parameter estimation for a turbulent boundary layer: a data assimilation framework,” Meas. Sci. Technol., 31, 094011, June 2020, https://doi.org/10.1088/1361–6501/ab8904
- Sanavandi, H., Bao, S., Zhang, Y., Keijzer, R., Guo, W. and Cattafesta III, L. N., “A cryogenic–helium pipe flow facility with unique double–line molecular tagging velocimetry capability,” Rev. Sci. Instrum., 91, 000000, May 2020, https://dx.doi.org/10.1063/5.0008117
- Nickels, A., Ukeiley, L., Reger, R., Cattafesta, L.N., “Low–order estimation of the velocity, hydrodynamic pressure, and acoustic radiation for a three–dimensional turbulent wall jet,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 116, 110101, August 2020, https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2020.110101
- Zhang, H., Dawson, S.T.M., Rowley, C.W., Deem, E.A., and Cattafesta, L.N., “Evaluating the accuracy of the dynamic mode decomposition,” Journal of Computational Dynamics, Vol. 7, no. 1, June 2020, https://www.aimsciences.org/article/doi/10.3934/jcd.2020002
- Sun, Y., Liu, Q., Cattafesta, L., Ukeiley, L. & Taira, K., “Resolvent analysis of compressible laminar and turbulent cavity flows,” AIAA J, Nov. 2019, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J058633
- Zhang, H., Dawson, S.T.M., Rowley, C.W., Deem, E.A., and Cattafesta, L.N., “Online dynamic mode decomposition for time–varying systems,” SIAM J. Appl. Dyn. Syst., 18(3), 1586–1609, Sept. 2019, https://doi.org/10.1137/18M1192329
- Sun, Y., Liu, Q., Cattafesta, L., Taira, K. and Ukeiley, L., “Effects of sidewalls and leading–edge blowing on flows over long rectangular cavities,” AIAA J, vol. 57, no. 1, January 2019, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J057413
- Richardson, R., Eckert, B., Zhang, Y., Cattafesta, L.N. III, Edstrand, A., Sun, Y., Schmid, P., and Taira, K., “Experimental Attenuation of a Trailing Vortex Inspired by Stability Analysis,” IUTAM Laminar-Turbulent Transition, IUTAM Bookseries, Volume 38, pp. 313-323, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-
- Oyarzun, M. and Cattafesta, L., “Design of Synthetic Jets” in Synthetic Jets: Fundamentals and Applications, ed. K. Mohseni and R. Mittal, 382 pages, CRC Press, Sept. 2014, ISBN 9781439868102.
- Cattafesta, L., Bahr, C., and Mathew, J., “Fundamentals of Wind-Tunnel Design,” in Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering, R. Blockley and W. Shyy (eds), John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, UK, pp. 691-700, 2010.
- Cattafesta, L. and Sheplak, M. “Actuators and Sensors,” pp. 149-175, in Fundamentals and Applications of Active Flow Control, ed. R.D. Joslin and D.N. Miller, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics Series, 231, Published by AIAA, 2009, 523 pages, Hardback, ISBN-10: 1-56347-983-4.
- Cattafesta, L., Tian, Y., and Mittal, R., “Adaptive Control of Post-Stall Separated Flow – Application to Heavy Vehicles,” The Aerodynamics of Heavy Vehicles II: Trucks, Buses, and Trains, Lecture Notes in Applied and Computational Mechanics, vol. 21, eds. Fred Browand, Rose McCallen, and James Ross, Springer, pp. 151-160, Dec. 2008.
- Agashe, J. S., Sheplak, M., Arnold, D. P., and Cattafesta, L. N., “MEMS-based actuators for flow-control applications,” IUTAM Symposium on Flow Control and MEMS, Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium held at the Royal Geographical Society, 19-22 September 2006, hosted by Imperial College, London, England, IUTAM Bookseries, vol. 7, Morrison, J.F.; Birch, D.M.; Lavoie, P. (Eds.), pp. 25-32, 2008, ISBN: 978-1-4020-6857-7.
- Sheplak, M., Cattafesta, L., and Tian, Y. “Micromachined Shear Stress Sensors for Flow Control Applications,” IUTAM Symposium on Flow Control and MEMS, Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium held at the Royal Geographical Society, 19-22 September 2006, hosted by Imperial College, London, England, IUTAM Bookseries, vol. 7, Morrison, J.F.; Birch, D.M.; Lavoie, P. (Eds.), pp. 67-73, 2008, ISBN: 978-1-4020-6857-7.
- Ukeiley, L., Murray, N., Song, Q., and Cattafesta, L., “Surface Pressure Based Estimation for Control,” IUTAM Symposium on Flow Control and MEMS, Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium held at the Royal Geographical Society, 19-22 September 2006, hosted by Imperial College, London, England, IUTAM Bookseries, vol. 7, Morrison, J.F.; Birch, D.M.; Lavoie, P. (Eds.) 2008, XVI, 456 p., ISBN: 978-1-4020-6857-7.
- Horowitz, S., Sheplak, M., Nishida, T. and Cattafesta, L., “Floating-element shear-stress sensor”, United States Patent Number 8,879,052, Issued November 4, 2014.
- Sheplak, M., Cattafesta, L., Nishida, T., and Horowitz, S., “Electromechanical Acoustic Liner (part 2)”, United States Patent Number 7,212,641, Issued May 1, 2007.
- Sheplak, M., Cattafesta, L, and Nishida, “Microelectromechanical Floating Element Flow Sensor,” U.S. Patent no. 6,966,231, Issued November 22, 2005.
- Nishida, T., Cattafesta, L, Sheplak, M., and Ngo, K. D. T., “Resonant Energy MEMS Array and System Including Dynamically Modifiable Power Processor,” U.S. Patent no. 6,954,025, Issued October 11, 2005.
- Sheplak, M., Cattafesta, L., Nishida, T., and Horowitz, S., “Electromechanical Acoustic Liner”, U.S. Patent Number 6,782,109, Issued August 24, 2004.
- Cattafesta, L. N., III, Wlezien, R. W., Won, C. C., and Garg, S., “Mass Injection for Reducing Flow-Induced Resonance in a Cavity”, U.S. Patent Number 6,078,674, Issued June 20, 2000.
- Cattafesta, L. N., III, Wlezien, R. W., Won, C. C., and Garg, S., “Reducing Flow-Induced Resonance in a Cavity,” U.S. Patent Number 5,818,947, Issued Oct. 6, 1998.