Nancy Hamill Governale
- Adjunct Professor, Industrial Technology and Management
Master of Architecture, Illinois Institute of Technology
B.A. Geography, Environmental Planning, Southern Illinois University
Hamill Governale is a Licensed Architect in the State of Illinois, and a Certified Energy Manager with the Association of Energy Engineers. She has been teaching in the IIT Architecture Department since 1992 and facilitating Interprofessional Projects (IPROs) since 2002. She also spent eight years as IIT Chief Facilities Officer where she created master plans for annual IIT facilities improvements and long-range campus redesign, and solicited architectural proposals for university projects. She is currently President of Facilities Research, Inc., a private consulting firm specializing in creating, funding and implementing sustainability and energy efficiency master plans for existing and new buildings and communities and completing energy and sustainability audits. Hamill Governale’s prior experience includes responsibility for creating and managing redevelopment plans for the Chicago Housing Authority, and Facilities and Public Works positions with the Villages of Skokie and Lombard, Illinois and private corporations.
Among Hamill Governale's major educational projects at IIT was creating a Zero Energy Lab, an experiential environment for IPRO students involved in low energy consuming design of existing vacant space. She and some IPRO teams developed the energy research center concept and created a low cost physical environment encompassing re-use, renewable and energy monitoring to support zero energy research for students, faculty and energy consumers.
"Design Incorporating Major Recycled Building Components," Construction Methods, Solar Wall, Plenum, Solar Thermal” outlining novel building design incorporating large scale steel structure re-use, 2004
“A New Perspective On Green Design," Today s Facility Manager, April 2008
"Big Picture Retrofitting," Distributed Energy, January/February 2008
"The Architect as Facility Manager," Illinois Institute of Technology, Master s Thesis, 1990
Hamill-Governale's numerous IIT IPRO projects include:
- Exploring Sustainability Concepts for a Power Plant Building in the Pacific Northwest
- Solar Mounting Design for Existing Buildings: multiple semesters leading to the SolarGami concept
- IIT Keating Hall: Solar Thermal Baseball Stadium, Geothermal, Solar PV and building enclosure improvements
- Oak Park Energy Efficiency and Carbon Reduction
- Sustainable Restaurant Development
- High Performance Green Homes
- Church & School Energy Efficiency and Financing Program
- IIT Sustainability Branding
- Building Greening & Adaptive Reuse for Queen of Peace High School
- Landscape for Building Energy Conservation IPRO
- Urban Heat: Investigating the Opportunities for Sustainable Development Using Concrete Products and Technologies
- Window Solar Control Product Development
Historic Preservation Save America’s Treasures Grant, Mundelein Center, Loyola University Chicago, 2012-2014
Multiple High Performance Green Building grants and new construction energy efficiency incentives for various buildings totaling approximately $2,000,000, 2004 to present.
Loyola Information Commons Operable Windows HVAC Interface Grant
Two-Phase Energy Audit grants; Loyola University Chicago (2001-2003) and IIT (2002-2004)
Three-Phase Energy Improvement Grant for Lighting Retrofit, Kent College of Law
PV Design and Installation for the Zero Energy Lab and Loyola Cudahy, ComEd (2004)
IIT Energy Improvement Program, Investment Grade Audit, $8,000,000 bond issue for improvements.
Licensed Architect; specializes in creating, funding and implementing facilities management, sustainability and energy efficiency master plans for existing and new buildings and communities.