Sudhakar E. Nair
- Professor of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Professor of Applied Mathematics
Ph.D. Applied Mechanics, University of California, San-Diego, 1974
M.E. Aeronautics, Indian Institute of Science, India, 1969
B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, University of Kerala, India, 1967
Analysis of elastic and inelastic structures, micro-mechanics of composites, wave propagation in anisotropic materials, moving boundary problems of the Stefan type, dynamics of cables
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education
- Member, American Academy of Mechanics
- Tau Beta Pi
- Sigma Xi
Junior Fellow, National Aero. Lab of India
Listed in Who is Who in Aerospace and Aviation
Listed in Who is Who in the World
Listed in Who is Who in Education
- Khounsary, A., et al. (2017). Development of a Multilayer Monochromator System for the BioCAT Beamline. Advances in X-Ray/EUV Optics and Components XI, Vol. 9963.
- Nair, S., & Sotiropoulas, D. A. (2016). Scattering of Rayleigh Waves by Sinusoidal Undulations on the Surface of an Incompressible Monoclinic Elastic Solid. Chaotic Modeling and Simulation, 4, 413-423.
- Nair, S. (2011). The Tao Solution for the Stefan Problem: An Alternate Derivation, in Doing Physics: A Festschrift for Thomas Erber, Edited by Porter Johnson, IIT Press.
- Ayyagari, R., & Nair, S. (2009). Scattering of P-polarized Evanescent Waves by a Spherical Dielectric Particle. J. Optical Soc. America B, 26(11) 2054-2058.
- Khakpour, Y., Bardakji, S., & Nair, S. (2007). Aerodynamic Performance of Wind Turbine Blades in Dusty Environments. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE2007), 20071111-15, Seattle, WA.
- Dursunkaya, Z., & Nair, S. (2006). Accuracy of the Two Iteration Spectral Method for Phase Change Problems. J. Applied Mathematical Modeling, 30, 1515-1524.
- Al-Qassab, M., & Nair, S. (2004). Wavelet-Galerkin Method for the Free Vibrations of an Elastic Cable Carrying an Attached Mass, J. Sound and Vibration, 270, 191-206.
- Li, Y., Khounsary, A., & Nair, S. (2004). How and Why Side Cooling of High-heat-load Optics Works. SPIE Proceedings, 5533, 157-162.
- Li, Y., Khounsary, A., & Nair, S. (2004). Cooled Mirror for Double Undulator Beamline. SPIE Proceedings, 5193, 204-210.
- Li, Y., Sciammarella, F. M., Sciammarella, C. A., & Nair, S. (2004). A Micromechanical Model of the Damage of Particulate Composites with Rubber Matrix. 12th Int. Conf. Experimental Mechanics, Bari, Italy.
- Gosz, M., Okyar, A. F., & Nair, S. (2003). A Crack Driving Force Criterion for the Prediction of Interface Crack Kinking in Thin-film Composites. J. Interface Science, 11(3), 329-338.
- Dursunkaya, Z., & Nair, S. (2003). Solidification of a Finite Medium Subject to a Periodic Variation of Boundary Temperature. J. Appl. Mech., 70(5), 633-637.
- Al-Qassab, M., Nair, S., & O'Leary, J. (2003). Dynamics of an Elastic Cable Carrying a Moving Mass Particle. Nonlinear Dynamics, 33(1), 11-32.
- The Tao Solution for the Stefan Problem: An Alternate Derivation, "Doing Physics." A Festschrift for Thomas Erver, pp. 97-104, 2010.
- Scattering of P-polarized evanescent waves by a spherical dielectric particle, with R. Ayyagari. J. Optical Society of America, B, Vol. 26 Issue 11, pp. 2054-2058, 2009.
- Aerodynamic Performance of Wind Turbine Blades in Dusty Environments, with Y. Khakpour, S. Bardakji, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. 20071111-15; Seattle WA, 2007.
- Accuracy of the two iteration spectral method for phase change problems, with Z. Dursunkaya, J. Applied Mathematical Modeling 20, pp. 1515-1524, 2006.
- Wavelet-Galerkin Method for the Free Vibrations of an Elastic Cable, with M. Al-Qassab, ASCE J. Engineering Mechanics. Vol. 129, No.3, pp. 350-357,2003.
- Solidification of a Finite Medium Subject to a Periodic Variation of Boundary Temperature, with Z. Dursunkaya, J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 70, No. 5, pp. 633-637, 2003.
- A Crack Driving Force Criterion for the Prediction of Interface Crack Kinking in Thin-film Composites, with M. Gosz and A. F. Okyar, J. Interface Science, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 329-338 , 2003.
- Dynamics of an Elastic Cable Carrying a Moving Mass Particle, with M. Al-Qassab and J. O'Leary, Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 33 No. 1, pp. 11-32, 2003.
- Cooled Mirror for a Double Undulator Beam Line, with Y. Li, A. Khounsary, and J. Maser, SPIE.
Mechanics of Aero-structures, Cambridge University Press, 2015.
Advanced Topics in Applied Mathematics, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Introduction to Continuum Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Solid Mechanics, Elastic and Inelastic Behavior of Materials, Applied Mathematics, Moving Boundary Problems, Wave Propagation in Anisotropic Media.