Submit to the International Center
- Form I-983
- Front and back copy of Optional Practical Training (OPT) Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card, if not previously submitted
- STEM OPT Administrative Fee of $200, as well as a submit a copy of the payment receipt to the International Center with your application; the fee can be paid on the Illinois Institute of Technology Online Pay Site
Do not send us any application materials (including checks and photographs) other than those that the International Center has requested above. The International Center reserves the right to return any unrequested documentation to you at your own expense before reviewing your request.
The International Center advisers will review your request and process a new STEM OPT I-20 in approximately seven business days.
You must collect, review, and sign the I-20 prior to mailing the full application to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you are not able to collect the I-20 yourself, you may authorize a friend to collect the I-20 on your behalf or request shipping.
It is your responsibility to make sure USCIS receives the documents listed below within 30 days of the STEM OPT I-20 issue date and before the expiration of your current EAD card.
Submit to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Photocopy of STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT) I-20
- Completed Form I-765; please see the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website for instructions
- Photocopies of previous I-20(s) for current education level
- Photocopy of current Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card
- Photocopy of Illinois Tech transcript or diploma showing a STEM degree
- I-94 information (print out from website or copy of front and back of card)
- Copies of your passport biographic page and passport expiration date
- Copy of your United States visa
- A check for $410 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security—do not write on or sign the back of the check
- Two passport-style photographs with your name and I-94 number on the back of each
- Make copies of the entire application for your records and mail by certified United States mail. Your application must be received by United States Citizenship and Immigration (USCIS) before your post completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) Employment Authorization Document (EAD) expires.
WHERE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TO:
All types of OPT applications—i.e. Pre-Completion, Post-Completion and STEM OPT applications—are to be submitted to the following mailing address:
MAIL YOUR APPLICATION TO ONE OF
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
P.O. Box 805373
Chicago, IL 60680
For Express Mail and Courier Deliveries (UPS/FedEx):
USCIS, Attn: I-765 C03
131 South Dearborn, 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517