Academic advising plays an important role for all students at Illinois Tech. The few minutes it takes to review course choices and discuss scheduling options with an adviser helps ensure all courses taken will apply toward the student’s degree program.
Advising PIN (required for registration each semester)
Undergraduate and graduate students are required to consult with an academic adviser on course choices in order to obtain the advising PIN.
Each academic unit issues the advising PIN required for registration in the first semester of
student enrollment at Illinois Tech.
- Undergraduate students must consult with their primary academic adviser via phone, email, or in person each semester to receive the advising PIN (consult Degree Works for adviser information).
- New on-campus graduate students will receive their PIN after completing an advising and registration session held during the week prior to courses starting. Students will receive email communication on how to sign up for these sessions. If you have not received such communication, please email Ryan Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org in ITM for instructions.
- Online, certificate, and non-degree graduate students must consult with their adviser, Nelson, at email@example.com to receive their PIN and discuss course choices.
- Once the PIN is issued and used for registration, it will appear in the Illinois Tech personal ID channel in myIIT portal.
Graduate Academic Advising
Graduate students are required to complete a mandatory advising session with the graduate academic (or accelerated master's) adviser. The GP Graduate (Program) Advising Hold becomes active before the next semester of registration opens for:
- Accelerated masters students in the first semester of graduate accelerated master's enrollment
- Traditional masters students at nine earned or enrolled credit
The hold prevents registration before the following semester until lifted by the adviser. A mandatory advising session is required for the student to clear the registration hold.
ITM students will be emailed by their adviser on how to schedule an advising appointment.
- Accelerated Masters Program Advising
- Interdisciplinary Program Advising
- International Partner Research Project (INIP)
- Program Requirements/Student Progress—Graduate DegreeWorks
- eForms Use
- Updating Program Options
- New Admission Required
- International Advising
- Financial Aid Advising
- English language deficiencies, assessment, courses and waivers