Advising PIN (required for registration each semester)
Each academic unit issues the Advising PIN that is required for registration in the first semester of student enrollment at Illinois Tech.
For graduate students in full-time programs:
- New graduate students receive their PIN number from the graduate program director, who serves as their first academic adviser.
- For each semester after, if they are not on probation, students can find their Advising PIN number in their MyIIT account. The Advising PIN is typically found under the my.iit.edu “Welcome” tab as shown in the following IIT Personal ID Numbers portal widget example:
Figure 1. IIT Personal ID Numbers Portal Widget Example
Graduate Academic Advising
Graduate students are required to complete a mandatory advising session with the graduate academic (or Accelerated Master’s Program) adviser. The GP Graduate Advising Hold becomes active before the next semester of registration opens for:
- Accelerated master’s students in the first semester of graduate enrollment
- Traditional masters students at nine earned or enrolled credits
- Doctoral students at 18 earned or enrolled credits
The hold prevents registration before the following semester, until lifted by the adviser, and a mandatory advising session is required for the student to clear the registration hold.
One-on-one advising sessions can be arranged by email with the student’s adviser based on the student’s need. If a student enters a research program in a faculty member’s lab in the department, the research faculty member becomes the student’s primary adviser (while the graduate program director remains the secondary adviser).
Students in part-time professional programs will have that program’s director as their adviser.
- Accelerated Master’s Program Advising
- Interdisciplinary Program Advising
- International Partner Research Project (INIP)
- Program Requirements/Student Progress— Graduate DegreeWorks
- eForms Use
- Updating Program Options
- New Admission Required
- International Advising
- Financial Aid Advising
- English language deficiencies, assessment, courses and waivers
- Academic Affairs (Graduate): https://web.iit.edu/gaa
- Academic Resources: https://web.iit.edu/arc
- Career Services: https://web.iit.edu/career-services
- Digital Learning (Distance/Online Learning): https://online.iit.edu/
- Disability Resources: https://web.iit.edu/cdr
- English Language Services: https://appliedtech.iit.edu/english-language-services<
- Financial Aid: https://web.iit.edu/financial-aid
- Student Health and Wellness: https://web.iit.edu/shwc
- Idea Shop and IPros: https://web.iit.edu/academic-affairs/idea-shop-and-ipro
- International Center: https://web.iit.edu/international-center
- Registrar: https://web.iit.edu/registrar/registration
- Student Accounting: https://web.iit.edu/student-accounting/