George J. Kacek Hall, named after alumnus George J. Kacek (EE ’54, M.S. ’55), will be opening its doors for the first time in August 2020. Kacek Hall is a legacy Ludwig Mies van der Rohe building revitalized by alumnus and College of Architecture Professor Dirk Denison. It imbues classic modernism with a vibrant, new living experience for first- and second-year students.
Each floor has two large lounges for social interaction and studying. The “social lounges” are located on the south side of each floor. The “study lounges” are on the north side of the building, touting amazing views of downtown Chicago. There is a mix of single-, double-, and triple-occupancy spaces and common-use bathrooms.
- All residential spaces provide a twin-size bed, desk, chair, dresser, and closet space for each resident
- Beds are ready to bunk
- Single point of entry and exit that is staffed 24 hours a day by community desk assistants
- Lounge space on every floor
- Laundry and fitness facilities in the lower level
- WiFi internet and cable TV provided by Comcast and Xfinity on the Go