Parking Citation Appeal Policy
Parking Services strives to provide fair and consistent enforcement of the parking regulations put in place for the Illinois Tech community. All citation appeals must be made within (7) days of the citation issue date. Appeals will not be accepted after the seven day grace period. Appeals must be submitted by the responsible party.
Grounds for Appeals
Parking appeals will only be accepted for the following reasons:
- Improper Issue
- Medical or Safety Emergency
- First-Time Citation*
*First-time citation violations that are subject to and result in immediate tow are ineligible for appeal. Click here for more information.
Invalid Grounds for appeal include the following reasons and WILL NOT be accepted.
- Not knowing the parking rules/policy
- Disagreement with fines
- Inability to pay fines
- Needing to park for a short period of time
- Unloading/loading for a short period of time
- Inability to find a parking space
- Failure to notice parking signs
- Parking gates were raised
- Overtime parking in 15 min/30-minute service parking areas
- Others were parked there too
- Others were parked and didn’t receive a citation
- I always parked there and never received a citation
- Running late
Citations not eligible for appeal must be paid within (7) days of the citation issue date.
Appeal Decision Outcomes
- VOIDED- the citation was issued improperly and no payment is required.
- GRANTED- the citation was issued properly, however, a courtesy is extended due to a medical or safety emergency and no payment is required.
- WARNING- the citation was issued properly, but a one-time courtesy is extended and no payment is required.
All decision notices will be issued via email within (1) week of the appeal submission. All appeal decisions are FINAL.
How to Appeal a Citation
If your citation meets the grounds for appeal criteria email firstname.lastname@example.org within (7) days of the citation issue date. The email should include the appeal grounds and a brief, general explanation.