- Assistant Professor, Food Science and Nutrition
Ph.D., University of Florida
M.S., Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar (India)
B.S., Khalsa College, Amritsar (India)
Dr. Sandhu’s research is focused on the identification of plant-derived chemical compounds (also known as phytochemicals) from various fruits and vegetables. In addition, she is interested in understanding the health promoting benefits of these compounds in clinically relevant conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and age related neurological disorders. This work is done using analytical chemistry techniques such as high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and mass spectrometry to identify/quantify the individual components in food, as well as to assess their metabolic fate and bioavailability within the body following ingestion and digestion.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Society for Nutrition
Institute of Food Technologists
2015 Berry Health Benefits Symposium Poster Competition (2nd position)
2014 Marketing and Management Poster Competition (2nd position), Annual IFT Meeting
2013 Richard F. Matthews Graduate Scholarship, FL section IFT
2013 Graduate Florida Dairy Products Scholarship
2012-2013 D. Glynn Davies-Juice Products Association Scholarship, UF
2012 Outstanding International Student Award, UF
2012 Ronald H. Schmidt Professional Service Graduate Scholarship, FL section IFT
2011-2012 William C. and Bertha M. Cornett Fellowship, UF
2011 Richard F. Matthews Graduate Scholarship, FL section IFT
2010 Bob Olson Scholarship, UF
2010 Certificate of Outstanding Achievement, UF
2009-2012 Graduate Student Council Travel Award, UF
2009, 2010 UF-FSHN Graduate Student Travel Award
2009 IFAS/CALS Graduate Student Travel Award
2004 Merit Scholarship, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar (India)
1999 - 2002 Academic Roll of Honor - Gold medal, Khalsa College, Amritsar (India)
Peer reviewed Publications
- Chad G. Uzdevenes, Chi Gao, Amandeep Sandhu, Yagiz Yavuz and Liwei Gu. Mathematical modeling of the adsorption/desorption characteristics of anthocyanins from muscadine (Vitis rotundifolia cv. Noble) juice pomace on amberlite™ FPX66 resin in a fixed bed column. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, Accepted manuscript, 2018
- Amandeep K. Sandhu, Marshall G. Miller, Nopporn Thangthaeng, Tammy M. Scott, Barbara Shukitt-Hale, Indika Edirisinghe and Britt Burton-Freeman. Metabolic Fate of Strawberry Polyphenols after Chronic Intake in Healthy Older Adults. Food and Function Special edition, 2018, 9, 96-106
- Xuhuiqun Zhang, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Indika Edirisinghe and Britt Burton-Freeman. From Food Chemistry to Biological Metabolites: An Exploratory Research Study on Raspberry (Rubus idaeus L.) Polyphenols/Metabolites in Human Biological Samples. Food and Function Special edition, 2018, 9, 806-818.
- Di Xiao, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Yancui Huang, Eunyoung Park, Indika Edirisinghe, Britt Burton Freeman. The Effect of Dietary Factors on Strawberry Anthocyanin Bioavailability. Food Funct., 2017,8, 3970-3979.
- Siqiong Zhong, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Indika Edirisinghe, Britt Burton-Freeman. Characterization of Wild Blueberry Polyphenols Bioavailability and Kinetic Profile over 24-hour Period in Human Subjects. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2017 Dec;61(12). doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201700405.
- Ruiqi Li, Min-Hyun Kim, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Chi Gao, and Liwei Gu. Muscadine Grape (Vitis rotundifolia) or Wine Phytochemicals Reduces Intestinal Inflammation in Mice with Dextran Sulfate Sodium-Induced Colitis. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 2017, 65 (4), pp 769–776, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jafc.6b03806.
- Amandeep K. Sandhu, Yuncai Huang, Di Xiao, Eunyoung Park, Indika Edirisinghe and Britt Burton-Freeman. Pharmacokinetic Characterization and Bioavailability of Strawberry Anthocyanins Relative to Meal Intake. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 2016, 64, 4891−4899
- Aman Sandhu, Indika Edirisinghe, Britt Burton-Freeman and Jerry Zweigenbaum. UHPLC-MS/MS Triple Quadrupole Analysis of Anthocyanin Metabolites in Human Plasma Using Protein Precipitation and Solid Phase Extraction for Determination of Uptake from Food. Agilent application note 5991-6526EN-D2
- Roberto Massenti, Riccardo Lo Bianco, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Liwei Gu, Charles Sims. Huanglongbing Modifies Quality Components and Flavonoid Content of 'Valencia' Oranges. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 2016, 96, 73-78.
- Amandeep K. Sandhu, Yun Cai, Bhaskar Janve, Wade Yang, Yavuz Yagiz, Maurice R. Marshall and Liwei Gu. Mathematical Modeling of the Anthocyanins Adsorption/Desorption from Blueberries on Amberlite FPX-66 Resin in a Fixed Bed Column. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 2015, doi:10.1111/jfpe.12323.
- Timothy J. Buran, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Zheng Li, Cheryl R. Rock, Weihua Yang, Liwei Gu. Adsorption/Desorption Characteristics and Separation of Anthocyanins and Polyphenols from Blueberries Using Macroporous Adsorbent Resins. Journal of Food Engineering, 2014, 128, 167-173.
- Amandeep K. Sandhu and Liwei Gu. Adsorption/Desorption Characteristics and Separation of Anthocyanins from Muscadine (Vitis rotundifolia) Juice Pomace Using Macroporous Adsorbent Resins. Submitted to Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 2013, 61 (7), 1441-1448.
- Vishnupriya Gourineni, Neil F. Shay, Soonkyu Chung, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Liwei Gu. Muscadine Grape (Vitis rotundifolia) and Wine Phytochemicals Prevented Obesity Associated Metabolic Complications in C57BL/6J Mice. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 2012, 60, 7674-7681.
- Timothy J. Buran, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Alberto M. Azeredo, Alisha H. Bent, Jeffrey G. Williamson, Rebecca L. Darnell and Liwei Gu. Effects of Exogenous Abscisic Acid on Fruit Quality, Antioxidant Capacities, and Phytochemical Contents of Southern High Bush Blueberries. Food Chemistry, 2012, 126, 1375-1381.
- Amandeep K. Sandhu, Dennis J. Gray, Jiang Lu and Liwei Gu. Effects of Exogenous Abscisic Acid on Antioxidant Capacities, Anthocyanins, and Flavonol Contents of Muscadine grape (Vitis rotundifolia) Skins. Food Chemistry, 2011, 126, 982-988.
- Zheng Li, Xin Zhao, Amandeep K. Sandhu and Liwei Gu. Effects of Exogenous Abscisic Acid on Yield, Antioxidant Capacities, and Phytochemical Contents of Greenhouse Grown Lettuces. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 2010, 58, 6503-6509.
- Amandeep K. Sandhu and Liwei Gu. Antioxidant capacity, Phenolic content and Profiling of Phenolic Compounds in Seeds, Skin and Pulp of Vitis rotundifolia (Muscadine grapes) with HPLC-DAD-ESI-MSn. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 2010, 58, 4681-4692.
- Amandeep Kaur, Devinder Kaur, D.P.S. Oberoi, B. S. Gill and D. S. Sogi. Effects of Dehydration on Physico-Chemical Properties of Mustard, Mint and Spinach. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 2008, 32, 103-116.
Britt Burton-Freeman, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Indika Edirisinghe. Red raspberries and their bioactive polyphenols: Cardio-metabolic-neuronal health links. Advances in Nutrition, 2016, 7, 44-65.
Britt Burton-Freeman, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Indika Edirisinghe. Mangos and their bioactive components: adding variety to the fruit plate for health. Food and Function, 2017.
Britt Burton-Freeman, Amandeep K. Sandhu, Indika Edirisinghe. Chapter 35: Anthocyanins in book Nutraceuticals: Efficacy, Safety and Toxicity Edited by Ramesh C. Gupta, Elsevier publication, 2016.
Phytochemicals, analytical chemistry, HPLC, mass spectrometry, bioavailability, pharmacokinetics