- Henry R. Linden Professor of Engineering
- Director of the Wanger Institute for Sustainable Energy Research (WISER)
- Affiliate Professor, Stuart School of Business
Hamid Arastoopour is Henry R. Linden Professor of Engineering and Director of Wanger Institute for Sustainable Energy Research (WISER) at Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) in Chicago, Illinois. Since 1985, he has been a member of the chemical engineering faculty at IIT, where he served as chairman of the department from 1989 to 2003, and Dean of the Armour College of Engineering from 2003 to 2008.
He began his research activities at the Institute of Gas Technology (IGT) in the experimental measurement, mathematical modeling and simulation of pneumatic conveying and fluidized bed systems associated with coal conversion and gasification processes. His main research expertise is in the area of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) of multiphase flow and particle technology—an area motivated by energy and environmentally related applications and documented in more than 100 publications and 13 U.S. patents.
He currently serves on the editorial board of Powder Technology Journal. A fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), he has received a number of national awards including the Donald Q. Kern Award in Heat Transfer and Energy Conversion, the Fluor Daniel Lectureship in Fluidization and Fluid/Particle Systems, the Fluidization Processes Recognition Award, and the Ernest W. Thiele Award. He also received IIT’s excellence in teaching award in 1992.
Ph.D. from Illinois Institute of Technology (Gas Engineering, 1978)
M.S. from Illinois Institute of Technology (Gas Engineering, 1975)
B.S. from Abadan Institute of Technology, Iran (Gas Engineering, 1973)
Transport phenomena of multiphase systems and fluidization, sustainability-related research, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) applications to energy conversion and carbon capture processes, wind energy, production of natural gas from unconventional gas reserves and hydrates, energy storage, and energy/ water/food nexus.
2018 - AIChE Sustainable Engineering Forum (SEF) Research Award in recognition of outstanding basic or applied research relative to the sustainability of products, processes, or the environment.
2017- Fellow, National Academy of Inventors (NAI).
2015- AIChE Thomas Baron Award in Fluid-Particle Systems, sponsored by Shell Global Solution, awarded in recognition of outstanding scientific/technical accomplishment that has made a significant impact in the field of fluid particle systems or in a related field with potential for cross fertilization.
2004 - Fellow of American Institute of Chemical Engineers
2003 - AIChE Fluidized Processes Recognition Award, sponsored by DOW Chemical, awarded in recognition of significant contribution to the science and technology of fluidization or fluidized processes, and who has shown leadership in the engineering community.
2001 - AIChE Donald Q. Kern Award. Awarded in recognition of expertise in heat transfer and energy conversion and the contributions leading to advances in engineering.
1997 - Ernest W. Thiele Award of the AIChE local section, sponsored by Amoco Corporation; awarded in recognition of original and significant contributions to the practice of the chemical engineering profession in the Midwest
1999 - AIChE Lectureship Award in Fluidization and Fluid Particle Systems, sponsored by Fluor Daniel Foundation. Awarded in recognition of the significant contribution and pioneering work in numerical simulation of fluid-particle and fluidized bed systems.1992 - University Excellence in Teaching Award, sponsored by Amoco Corporation
- “The critical contribution of chemical engineering to a pathway to sustainability,” H. Arastoopour, Chemical Engineering Science, 203 247–258 (2019).
- “CFD simulation of gas and particle flow and a carbon capture process using a circulating fluidized bed (CFB) reacting loop,” E. Ghadirian, J. Abbasian and H. Arastoopour Powder Technology, 344, 27-35 (2019).
- “CFD simulation of particle size change during the coal char gasification process using the population balance model with FCMOM,” E. Ghadirian, J. Abbasian and H. Arastoopour Powder Technology 323, 128-138 (2018).
- “CFD Simulation of the Effect of Rain on the Performance of Horizontal Wind Turbine,” H. Arastoopour and A. Cohen AIChE Journal, 63, No 12, 5375-5383 (2017).
- Numerical Analysis of Frictional Behavior of Dense Gas–Solid Systems,” E. Ghadirian and H. Arastoopour, Particuology, 32, 178-190 (2017).
- Three-dimensional CFD Simulation of an MgO-based Sorbent Regeneration Reactor in a Carbon Capture Process,” E. Ghadirian, J. Abbasian, and H. Arastoopour, Powder Technology, 318, 314-320 (2017).
- Numerical Simulation and Analysis of the Effect of Rain and Surface Property on a Wind-Turbine Airfoil’s Performance,” A.C. Cohen and H. Arastoopour, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 81,46-53 (2016).
- CFD Simulaton of a Fluidized Bed Using the EMMS Approach for the Gas-Solid Drag Force, E Ghadririan and H. Arastoopour, Journal for Powder Technology, 288, 35-44 (2016)
- CFD–PBE Numerical Simulation of CO2 Capture Using MgO-based Sorbent,” E. Abbasi, J. Abbasian, and H. Arastoopour, Journal of Powder Technology, 286, 616–628 (2015).
- Effect of Steam on Partial Decomposition of Dolomite,” S. Zarghami, E. Ghadirian, H. Arastoopour, and J. Abbasian. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 5398–5406 (2015).
- Effect of Steam on the Reactivity of MgO-Based Sorbents in Precombustion CO2 Capture Processes,” S. Zarghami, A. Hassanzadeh, H. Arastoopour, and J. Abbasian, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 54 (36), 8860–8866 (2015).
- CFD Simulation of a Pharmaceutical Bubbling Bed Drying Process at Three Different Scales,” J. Jang and H. Arastoopour, Journal of Powder Technology, 26314-25 (2014).
- Regenerable MgO-based Sorbent for High Temperature CO2 Removal from Syngas: CO2 Capture and Sorbent Enhanced Water Gas Shift Reaction,” E. Abbasi, A. Hassanzadeh, S Zarghami, H. Arastoopour and J. Abbasian, Fuel Journal, 137, 260-268 (2014).
- CFD Modeling of CFB: From Kinetic Theory to Turbulence, Heat Transfer, and Poly-dispersed Systems,” H. Arastoopour and D. Gidaspow, Circulating Fluidized Bed, 11 (2014).
- Numerical analysis and implementation of finite domain trial functions method of moments (FCMOM) in CFD codes” E. Abbasi and H. Arastoopour, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 102 pp. 432-441 (2013).
- Analysis of the Performance of Wind Turbine Airfoil under Heavy Rain Condition Using Multiphase CFD Approach”, M. Cai, E. Abbasi and H. Arastoopour, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 52(9), pp. 3266-3275 (2013).
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Application in Fluid/Particle Flow Systems” H. Arastoopour, Powder Metallurgy and Mining Journal, Editorial Paper. Vol. 2, issue.1 (2013).
- Utilization of municipal wastewater for cooling in thermoelectric power plants: Evaluation of the combined cost of makeup water treatment and increased condenser fouling”, M.E.Walker, R.B. Theregowda, I. Safari, J. Abbasian, H. Arastoopour, D.A. Dzombak, M.K. Hsieh, and D.C. Miller, Energy 60 , pp. 139-147 (2013).
- CFD Simulation of Different- Scaled Bubbling Fluidized Bed”, J. Jang and H. Arastoopour, Fluidization XIV, Edited by: J. A. M. Kuipers, R. F. Mudde, J. R. Van Ommen, and N. G. Deen, Engineering Conference International, pages 691-698, (2013).
- Economic impact of condenser fouling in existing thermoelectric power plants” M.E. Walker, I. Safari, R.B. Theregowda, M.K. Hsieh, J. Abbasian, H. Arastoopour, D. Dzombak and D.C. Miller Energy, 44, 429-437 (2012).
- CFD Simulation of CO2 Sorption in a Circulating Fluidized Bed using Deactivated Kinetic Model” E. Abbasi and H. Arastoopour CFB 10, edited by T.M. Knowlton, Engineering Conference International , ISBN 978-1-4507-7082-5, pages 736- 743, (2011).
- Studying the pulverization mechanism of rubber with a modified design of the solid-state shear extrusion process” Trapti Chaubey and Hamid Arastoopour, Journal of applied polymer science, 119, 1075-1083 (2010).
- Solution of Population Balance Equations by Finite Size Domain Complete Set of Trial Functions Method of Moments (FCMOM) for Inhomogeneous Systems,” M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 49(11), 5222-5230 (2010).
- Numerical and Experimental Steady State Flow and Heat Transfer in a Continuous Spouted Bed,” C.A. Rosa, J.T. Freire, and H. Arastoopour, Fluidization XIII, edited by S.D. Kim, Y. Kang, J.K. Lee and Y.C. Seo, 669 -676, ECI, New York (2010).
- CFD Simulation of Pharmaceutical Particle Drying in a Bubbling Fluidized Bed Reactor,” J. Yang, C. Rosa, and H. Arastoopour, Fluidization XIII, edited by S.D. Kim, Y. Kang, J.K. Lee, and Y.C. Seo, 853-860, ECI, New York (2010).
- Solution of Bivariate Population Balance Equations Using the FCMOM,” M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 48(1), 262-273 (2009).Studying the Pulverization Mechanisms of Low-Cross-Link-Density Natural Rubber with and without Carbon Black,” M. Eskandari and H. Arastoopour, Powder Technology Journal 189, 454-461 (2009).
- Simulation of Methane Production from Hydrates by depressurization and thermal stimulation” ,” Y. Liu, M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol 48, no 5, 2451-2464 (2008).
- Solution of PBE by Non-infinite Size Domain,” M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Chemical Engineering Science , 63, 2624-2640 (2008).
- Numerical Simulation of Methane Production from a Methane Hydrate Formation,” Y. Liu, M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 47, no 8, 2817 - 2828 (2008).
- Numerical Simulation of Poly-dispersed Systems,” M. Strumendo, H. Arastoopour and A. Ahmadzadeh, Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology IX , ISBN978-3-930400-57-7, edited by J. Werther, W. Nowak, K.E. Wirth and E.U. Hartge Tu Tech Innovation Gmbh, Germany p 313-318 (2008).
- On the Consequences of Limiting Chain Extensibility of Vulcanized Rubbers: Stiffening, Self Homogenization, and Coupling of Strain Components,” E. Bilgili, B. Bernstein and Hamid Arastoopour, Journal of Elastomers and Plastics, 40, 77-93 (2008).
- Three Dimensional Numerical Simulation of a Horizontal Rotating Fluidized Bed,” A. Ahmadzadeh and H. Arastoopour, Powder Technology Journal, 183, 410-416 (2008).
- Population Balance Equation, Application in Rotating Fluidized Bed Polymerization Reactor,” A. Ahmadzadeh, H. Arastoopour, F. Teymour and M. Strumendo, Chemical Engineering Research and Design , 86, 329-343 (2008).
- “Computational Transport Phenomena of Fluid-Particle Systems,” H. Arastoopour, D. Gidaspow, and E. Abbasi, Mechanical Engineering Series, ISBN 978-3-319-45488-7, Springer Press (2017).
- “The Sustainability Book for Kids,” K.T. Thomsen, M.M. Murphy, and H. Arastoopour, IIT Press (2016).
- "Apparatus and Methods for Creating Aroma" F. Rasouli, R. Wong, H. Arastoopourl, A. Oskouie, Provisional Patent # 42419 (2018).
- “Modified Rubber Particles and Compositions Including the Same,” Nima Shahidi, Hamid Arastoopour and Fouad Teymour, U.S. Patent # 8,013036B2 (2011).
- “Interpenetrated Rubber Particles and Compositions Including the Same,” Nima Shahidi, Hamid Arastoopour and Fouad Teymour, U.S. Patent # 7,816,446 B2 (2010).
- "Apparatus for Generating Odor Upon Electronic Signal Demand," Firooz Rasouli, Hamid Arastoopour and Ali Oskouie, U.S. Patent #6,548,025 (2003).
- "Apparatus and Process for Pulverization of a Polymeric Material," G.K. Ivanov, H. Arastoopour, E. Bilgili, N. Shahidi and B. Bernstein, U.S. Patent #6,513,737 (2003).
- "Synthesis of A Carbon-Based Catalyst From Sludge" N. Khalili , H. Arastoopour, U.S. Patent # 6,362,127 B1 (2002).
- "Synthesizing Carbon from Sludge," N. Khalili, H. Arastoopour, and L. Walhof , U.S. Patent #6,030,922 (2000).
- "Process for Recycling of Rubber Materials," H. Arastoopour, D. Schocke, B. Bernstein, and E. Bilgili, U.S. Patent #5,904,885 (1999).
- "Apparatus for Generating Odor upon Electronic Signal Demand," F. Rasouli, H. Arastoopour, and A. Oskouie, U.S. Patent #6,004,516 (1999).
- "Single-screw Extruder for Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization and Method," H. Arastoopour, U.S. Patent #5,704,555 (1998).
- "Method for Producing Biodegradable Products," F. Shutov, H. Arastoopour, and G. Ivanov , U.S. Patent #5,688,448 (1997).
- "Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Thermoplastic Materials)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour, U.S. Patent #5,397,065 (1995).
- "Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Thermosetting Materials)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour, U.S. Patent #5,395,055 (1995).
- "Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Elastomers)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour, U.S. Patent #5,415,354 (1995).
- "Sorbent Composition and Process for Regenerative Sorption of NO X," D. Gidaspow, H. Hariri, and H. Arastoopour, U.S. Patent #4,151,124 (1979).