William (Bill) Lidinsky
- Industry Professor, Information Technology and Management
- Director, School of Applied Technology Computer Security and Forensics Laboratory
- Interim Director, Center for Cyber Security and Forensics Education
- Graduate Adviser
M.B.A. University of Chicago
M.S.C.E. Illinois Institute of Technology
B.S.E.E., Illinois Institute of Technology
Computer networking, computer and network security, computer and network forensics, vulnerability testing, and steganography.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
IEEE and ACM
University Teaching Award
SELECTED BOOKS & PUBLICATIONS (from approximately 20)
W. P. Lidinsky, D. Vlack, Perspectives on Packetized Voice and Data Communications, IEEE Press, 1990.
W. P. Lidinsky, G.A. Roediger, The Multi-Session Bridge, Proc. of Computing in High Energy Physics, pp. 143-149, April 1997, Berlin.
H. A. Kippenhan, W. Lidinsky, G. Roediger, An Integrated Circuit/Packet Switched Videoconferencing System, Proc. Computing in High Energy Physics conference, pp. 50-61, September 1995, Rio de Janeiro Brazil.
Lidinsky et al, Data Acquisition and Control System for the IPNS Time-of-Flight Neutron Scattering Experiments, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, v. NS-26, no. 4, pp. 4554-4563, August 1979.
R. G. Barr, J. A. Becker, W. P. Lidinsky, V. V. Tantillo, A Research-Oriented Dynamic Microprocessor, IEEE Transactions on Computers, v. c-22, no. 11, pp. 976-985, November 1973.
W. P. Lidinsky, J. A. Becker, A Computer-Driven Full Color Raster Scan Display System, IEEE Transactions on Broadcast & Television Receivers, v. BTR-18, pp. 26-31, February 1971.
D. Lark, W. P. Lidinsky, Sizing Hardware for Hosting Multiple Web Servers, Softcom 2000, Brussels
IEEE 802 International Standards Committee on Local Area Networks.
- I chaired IEEE 802.1 International Standards Committee on Local Area Networks from about 1980 - 1999.
- As the chair of 802.1, I was a member of the IEEE802 Executive Committee from 1980 - 1999.
- Developed the Spanning Tree protocol and standard that today is used in EVERY Internet switch worldwide. This was done as part of a small IEEE802.1 team.
- Participated in the development of the Ethernet and WiFi protocols and standards.
SELECTED PATENTS (from approximately 15)
METROPOLITAN AREA NETWORK ARRANGEMENT FOR SERVING VIRTUAL DATA NETWORKS; U.S. Patent Number 4,897,874; January 30, 1990.
DIGITAL COMMUNICATION NETWORK ARCHITECTURE FOR PROVIDING UNIVERSAL INFORMATION SERVICES; U.S. Patent Number 4,763,317; August 9, 1988.
Area(s) of Advisement
Cyber Forensics and Security, Computer and Information Security