Illinois Tech’s Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) Prep Program presents a special opportunity for up to 15 students to prepare for success both in their STEM fields of study and as officers in the United States Navy. During the preparatory year, students will receive:
- Full-year scholarship, including housing and food
- $400 textbook stipend
- Academic mentoring and advising
- Focused educational skills courses
- Association with the NROTC unit including physical fitness training
Upon successful completion of their preparatory year, students will be awarded a four-year full-tuition, housing and food scholarship by the Department of the Navy, leading to a commission as an officer in the United States Navy. This special preparatory program establishes a pathway for students to receive an accredited bachelor’s degree from Illinois Tech.
Email an NROTC recruiter to help you complete the application or to learn more about the program.
How to Apply
All applications will be reviewed for eligibility by Illinois Tech’s Office of Undergraduate Admission and NROTC. Instructions for filling out the forms can be found on page 1 of the Presidential NROTC Preparatory Scholarship Application.
To be considered for the NROTC Preparatory Scholarship, prospective candidates must apply no later than March 1 to be considered. Scholarships will be awarded on a first come first serve basis. In order to remain competitive, applicants are strongly recommended to have all scholarship documents submitted no later than February 1st.
Application to Illinois Tech
- Common Application for Illinois Tech
- SAT/ACT official report (optional)
- Official high school transcript
- Letter of recommendation
NROTC Preparatory Scholarship Application
The following forms are to be submitted with your application:
- Senior Naval Science Instructor (SNSI) recommendation (if applicable)
Once admitted into the program and the student has completed their preparatory year, students must meet the following conditions in order to remain eligible for the scholarship:
- Successfully complete a three-week basic military training program (New Student Indoctrination) conducted in the summer before enrollment at Recruit Training Command in Great Lakes, Illinois
- Conduct a full Department of Defense medical exam and be eligible for unrestricted military service
- Agree to pursue any tier 1 or tier 2 major (aerospace engineering, architectural engineering, astrophysics, biochemistry, bioinformatics, molecular biochemistry and biophysics, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, civil engineering, computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, or statistics)
- Maintain a grade-point average of 2.8 or higher and take a minimum of 12 credits per semester
- Live on campus in a designated NROTC community
- Pass the Navy’s physical fitness assessment once a semester and receive a score of “Good Low” or better; students will be required to complete the one and a half-mile run for their cardio portion
- Maintain good standing within the ROTC unit